May 17, 2009

Hello,

I´d like to ask other translators or project managers,
if they consider a higher rate when invoicing projects
using PASSOLO as CAT-Tool.

I think the rate per word or line of a trasnlation carried out with PASSOLO
cannot be the same as that of a translation performed
either with TRADOS or Wordfast.

Just the price of PASSOLO is higher than that of TRADOS.

Can anyone give his/her opinion?

Regards,
... See more
Hello,

I´d like to ask other translators or project managers,
if they consider a higher rate when invoicing projects
using PASSOLO as CAT-Tool.

cannot be the same as that of a translation performed
either with TRADOS or Wordfast.

Regards,
Ramón
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:01
French to Polish
+ ...
The CAT tool price is not the argument... the clue is the quality... May 17, 2009

SCI-DE wrote:

I´d like to ask other translators or project managers, if they consider a higher rate when invoicing projects using PASSOLO as CAT-Tool.

Yes.
Always.

cannot be the same as that of a translation performed either with TRADOS or Wordfast.

It's not a valid argument.
E.g. if even you compare the Wordfast/Metatexis and the Trados price, you can't invoice more for Trados DOC/RTF workflow only for the reason you have paid Trados more.
It's your problem you've damn overpaid your CAT.

Your arguments should be different.

The first point is you can't translate Passolo files/projects using Trados or similar tool.
If the guys want to pay the same maney per word, jusk ask 'em to prepare the translation for Trados and make theirself the string length checks etc.
Or ask 'em to give you a Passolo satellite project (bundle) you can edit in the Passolo Translator editor you can download for free...

The second point is Passolo has functions which are unaccessible in Trados, e.g. text length check, box resizing, validations etc.
If the customer wants more than in the Trados case, he should pay more.

The third point is the translation made in a quality oriented visual localization tool is always slower than a simple software string translation 'cause you must always take a look on the windows. menus etc.
In fact, we're paid for our time.

Of course, if the customer doesn't want more, simply forgot about the advanced Passolo features and translate the strings as rapidly as you can using your preferred CAT.
If possible, he cheapest one

Passolo is a high risk specialized tool.
If you purchase it and you have not enough jobs, it's a pure loss.
Just unlike Trados.
With a general purpose CAT tool, you'll always able to make some ROI.
The business model is different.

So, if your customer insist the job should be done in Passolo, he should take in account the fact the Passolo market is very narrow and he buys "de luxe" services.
The price per word reflects it.

HTH.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-05-17 15:31 GMT]

cbcoti
cbcoti
Local time: 05:01
English to Danish
Passolo easier for software Jul 5, 2012

Personally I would demand a higher rate if someone asked me to translate using a tool that's not meant for the work I'm going to do.

Using Passolo, I see the visual view as a help. It is a lot easier to have a look at the GUI structure than trying to get some meaning out of a badly formulated comment - or nothing at all...

Being the localization manager in a company, I would insist on having a proffessional version of Passolo - to be able to lock certain strings, add
... See more
Personally I would demand a higher rate if someone asked me to translate using a tool that's not meant for the work I'm going to do.

Using Passolo, I see the visual view as a help. It is a lot easier to have a look at the GUI structure than trying to get some meaning out of a badly formulated comment - or nothing at all...

Being the localization manager in a company, I would insist on having a proffessional version of Passolo - to be able to lock certain strings, add explanations, own TM, glossaries etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing Passolo projects

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »