Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Jacek Sierakowski
Jacek Sierakowski
Belgium
Local time: 18:26
English to French
+ ...
Same here Jan 5, 2009

After replacing a PC, my license 'has a compliance problem'...

Jacek.

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I have not used it yet ... Jan 8, 2009

but I was interested in Babylon and wondered if it was a useful tool.

Their marketing department keep nagging me, if I wish to support their professionals program, but after a look at their German website I had to decline. I felt the quality of their text a little wanting - too many spelling errors and some strange expressions.

What made me suspicious about their software is that they praise their "FREE
... See more
but I was interested in Babylon and wondered if it was a useful tool.

Their marketing department keep nagging me, if I wish to support their professionals program, but after a look at their German website I had to decline. I felt the quality of their text a little wanting - too many spelling errors and some strange expressions.

What made me suspicious about their software is that they praise their "FREE DOWNLOAD" in large letters on most of their pages, but fail to mention, that ONLY the download is free and not the software. Also I tried to find out, how long the trial period lasts but could find this information nowhere, not even in their FAQs. I cannot imagine, that this is something you would simply forget to mention. So this looked quite fishy to me and therefore I did a Proz.com forum search, which led me here.

After having read your comments I think I will rather stay away from this software. Their treatment of users does not sound promising.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 19:26
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to Claudia Jan 8, 2009

What upsets me (and I suspect I am not the only one here) is that Babylon IS a really great tool. I also remember that they offered a trial period which lasted about a month, with fully functional features. It wasn't until now that I noticed something which was wrong with them, which I still cannot understand.

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
A theft Jan 8, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:

What upsets me (and I suspect I am not the only one here) is that Babylon IS a really great tool. I also remember that they offered a trial period which lasted about a month, with fully functional features. It wasn't until now that I noticed something which was wrong with them, which I still cannot understand.

Exactly. The same happened to me. Something has turned up wrong with them, with their policy. "Their policy" is to ignore us.
As far as I am concerned, Babylon has been a great tool. I bought my first licence years ago, don't remember if it was 2002, but up to now I haven't had a single problem. Babylon always behaved properly, respectfully. Up to now. Something has changed in this Company. (?) I deeply believe that what BABYLON did to me IS a THEFT.

Pure and simple.

Inés

[Edited at 2009-01-09 00:30 GMT]

degolem
degolem
English
A copy of a formal note I sent to Shani Peer > babylon/Or Yehudah, Israel AND to [email protected] Jan 12, 2009

My recent chapter of the ongoing saga: me versus babylon Ltd. Israel !!!!

"Hello again,

I wish to remind you that I purchased a lifetime usage of Babylon 5.
AS such I am entitled > under customer-rights-protection plan - in the USA and in Israel and in Switzerland - to be able to USE the purchased product forever.

The attached will remind you of our history of correspondence.

I also bought an upgrade LATER-ON... which avails me to the
... See more

"Hello again,

AS such I am entitled > under customer-rights-protection plan - in the USA and in Israel and in Switzerland - to be able to USE the purchased product forever.

I also bought an upgrade LATER-ON... which avails me to the same customer rights as mentioned above.

I encounter impossible difficulties, while trying to reinstall both products on my computer.

I demand an immediate solution to this problem.

Thanks."

IN reply I received from Anna the following:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Each Babylon license is issued and sold for a single computer hardware installation and is built to support regular usage. A common misunderstanding is using the same license on two personal computers or more.

Our licensing system monitors license usage and automatically revokes licenses that exceed this usage policy.

It may be possible that your license somehow leaked out to the web or was duplicated and therefore had been reported as over-used.

If you use Babylon in accordance with the aforementioned license policy, please follow the below license change instructions and Babylon will continue to work as before.

Otherwise, that is, if you use a single Babylon license on more than one computer, you are required for an additional license, one for each machine.

In order to clear this issue, we’ve sent you a new license to replace the over-used one.

License Change Instructions

First – remove the over-used license from Babylon: Configuration – Licenses – select the overused license, and click the “Remove” button

Next – Enter the new license (sent in the previous automatic email) by clicking the “Enter license” button, and simply copy your new license details.

---------------

TO WHICH I RESPONDED WITH THE FOLLOWING:
Shalom Shani,

IT just might be a good idea to organize A CLASS ACTION lawsuit against Babylon in ISRAEL....
Your company's behavior; is in total customer's rights violation -- of the original Babylon "For Life" agreement. Vellow is just ONE ewxample of comlaining RIGHTFUL customers more than needed to undersign such process, AND the Israeli Consumer Council will be very supportive, just like the US BBB.
Rethink!!

YOU MAY ALL CONTACT ME >>> [email protected]
Collapse

Jacek Sierakowski
Jacek Sierakowski
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
No limits Jan 18, 2009

OK. Currently, I have 3 (!) Babylon licenses : 2 towers (1 ‘killed’) and 1 laptop. And now, they want me to buy a 4th one, pretending the laptop’s has expired.

I told them that I just replaced one tower. They ignore my emails.

jean-roger
jean-roger
English
Babylon "overused licenses Jan 19, 2009

Sorry, I am a French man. I don't speak english

I have the same problem. I use Babylon on 1 PC, THE SAME, since 2001. I repair it MY-SELF. My PC was never ouside
Babylon Pro killed -> Babylon Trial.

Licence supposed overused without any proofs.

Babylon France does nothing

Babylon Israel ignores my 7 emails. Only one says : "I didn't find an order with any of those details."

Anna Diemers "se défile" ("macht sich davon"), repl
... See more
Sorry, I am a French man. I don't speak english

I have the same problem. I use Babylon on 1 PC, THE SAME, since 2001. I repair it MY-SELF. My PC was never ouside
Babylon Pro killed -> Babylon Trial.

Licence supposed overused without any proofs.

Babylon France does nothing

Babylon Israel ignores my 7 emails. Only one says : "I didn't find an order with any of those details."

Anna Diemers "se défile" ("macht sich davon"), replies in english and german, but not in french
[email protected]:
Thank you for your message.

I am out of the office and will not be able to reply. Please send a message to [email protected].

Thank you!

Vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht.
Ich bin ab dem 14.01.09 nicht im Hause und kann Ihre Nachricht leider nicht beantworten. Bitte schreiben Sie direkt an : [email protected]
Bitte beachten Sie, dass Ihre E-Mail nicht automatisch weitergeleitet und/oder bearbeitet wird.

But [email protected] don't reply !

That's all !

[Modifié le 2009-01-19 19:38 GMT]
Collapse

degolem
degolem
English
COME ON EVERYBODY .. PUBLISH YOUR COMLAINTS, THE MORE PUBLISHED COMPLAINTS, THE MORE ammunition 4us Jan 19, 2009

degolem wrote:

"Hello again,

I also bought an upgrade LATER-ON... which avails me to the same customer rights as mentioned above.

I encounter impossible difficulties, while trying to reinstall both products on my computer.

I demand an immediate solution to this problem.

Thanks."

IN reply I received from Anna the following:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Each Babylon license is issued and sold for a single computer hardware installation and is built to support regular usage. A common misunderstanding is using the same license on two personal computers or more.

Our licensing system monitors license usage and automatically revokes licenses that exceed this usage policy.

It may be possible that your license somehow leaked out to the web or was duplicated and therefore had been reported as over-used.

If you use Babylon in accordance with the aforementioned license policy, please follow the below license change instructions and Babylon will continue to work as before.

Otherwise, that is, if you use a single Babylon license on more than one computer, you are required for an additional license, one for each machine.

In order to clear this issue, we’ve sent you a new license to replace the over-used one.

License Change Instructions

First – remove the over-used license from Babylon: Configuration – Licenses – select the overused license, and click the “Remove” button

Next – Enter the new license (sent in the previous automatic email) by clicking the “Enter license” button, and simply copy your new license details.

---------------

TO WHICH I RESPONDED WITH THE FOLLOWING:
Shalom Shani,

IT just might be a good idea to organize A CLASS ACTION lawsuit against Babylon in ISRAEL....
Your company's behavior; is in total customer's rights violation -- of the original Babylon "For Life" agreement. Vellow is just ONE ewxample of comlaining RIGHTFUL customers more than needed to undersign such process, AND the Israeli Consumer Council will be very supportive, just like the US BBB.
Rethink!!

YOU MAY ALL CONTACT ME >>> [email protected]

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Babylon! Feb 11, 2009

This is Babylon promo here, at Proz!!!! (I received it in my inbox by Proz staff)
______

Dear Translators,

Babylon Ltd., developer of the world renown dictionary software, expresses its appreciation for professional translators. With its dictionary software, Babylon offers a valuable, complementary assisting tool for translators, which is marked by its intuitive and easy use.

Recently Babylon initiated an Outreach Program for Translators. Join this p
... See more
This is Babylon promo here, at Proz!!!! (I received it in my inbox by Proz staff)
______

Dear Translators,

Babylon Ltd., developer of the world renown dictionary software, expresses its appreciation for professional translators. With its dictionary software, Babylon offers a valuable, complementary assisting tool for translators, which is marked by its intuitive and easy use.

Recently Babylon initiated an Outreach Program for Translators. Join this program by promoting it on your website, by writing about it on your blog or ProZ.com profile and get a free one-year license of the Babylon dictionary software!
Join Now!

The time limited Babylon Outreach Program addresses only professional translators and conveys the message that that no machine translation can be a substitute for the experienced translator.

Wishing you a successful year,
Babylon Ltd.

______

What makes them believe that I could be lured, by their one-year "gift", into doing business with them again, after they have completely taken away from me my legally purchased life-long licence and after not bothering to answer to my emails for one single moment?

[Edited at 2009-02-11 12:02 GMT]
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it just me... Feb 12, 2009

... or the rest of you cannot see this thread on the home page either? I have tried all visualisation options, when logged in, I even logged out to try, but this thread doesn't appear on the home page. Is it mere coincidence?

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is just me Feb 12, 2009

I just heard from colleagues that they can see this thread alright, so, yes, it is a coincidence! Apologies to all!

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:26
French to English
Not just you Feb 12, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:

I just heard from colleagues that they can see this thread alright, so, yes, it is a coincidence! Apologies to all!

I think LittleBalu just meant that your link was clickable, and that the thread was still alive.

This thread does not appear on the home page, and my configuration is such that it should.
I do know that the site staff can alter the properties of a thread such that it remains "alive" but does not appear on the home page (e.g. in the event of heated discussion about certain aspects of the site which is taking a negative turn). I suspect this has happened here.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Charlie... Feb 12, 2009

... for you answer, it is good to know. I am generally not a suspicious person and I try not to imagine trouble where is shouldn't be. If the staff made the thread "disappear" from the home page, I should at least have expected them to intervene or to notify... They can still do it.

Besides, speaking for myself, I have described facts in this thread, nothing is inaccurate or false, and I haven't turned against anyone without having a good reason (I am referring to Babylon). Maybe B
... See more
... for you answer, it is good to know. I am generally not a suspicious person and I try not to imagine trouble where is shouldn't be. If the staff made the thread "disappear" from the home page, I should at least have expected them to intervene or to notify... They can still do it.

Besides, speaking for myself, I have described facts in this thread, nothing is inaccurate or false, and I haven't turned against anyone without having a good reason (I am referring to Babylon). Maybe Babylon are a client for Proz, but so am I. And if Proz considers it correct to send advertisements of Babylon directly to my inbox, they should at least give me the right to present my opinion about this company at a place where it is likely that people will notice - like the home page.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:26
French to English
It's a business not a commune :-) Feb 12, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:
Maybe Babylon are a client for Proz, but so am I.

Which do you think provides Proz with more revenue, you or Babylon?

And if Proz considers it correct to send advertisements of Babylon directly to my inbox,

They have apologised for that. I guess one could argue, if one were feeling charitable, that they no longer consider it correct to do that.

they should at least give me the right to present my opinion about this company at a place where it is likely that people will notice - like the home page.

Again, while no apologist for obfuscation or sweeping problems under the carpet, and while there may be "community" aspects to this site (and that may be how it started), it is (now) a commercial enterprise first and foremost. Most businesses would take a dim view to your strolling into the lobby holding up placards explaining why the business, or another customer of that business, sucks.
Likewise, criticism of proz rarely remains on the homepage for long!

That said, it could be a mistake or bug. Looking through the threads in this sub-forum, I only recognise a few as appearing on the home page (and I'm logged in all day most days!). If I were you I would ask the mod what the situation is in a private email.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't want to think about it that way... Feb 12, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:
Which do you think provides Proz with more revenue, you or Babylon?

While the answer to your question is obvious, I generally haven't realized that Proz functions like that. I mean, people are criticizing products of other companies, and especially CAT tools, in the forums all the time, but they weren't made to "disappear" from Proz. I still want to believe that it is a bug or something like that in the case of this thread. I have submitted a support ticket and I look forward to getting a response.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Babylon "overused licenses"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »