Thread poster: DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST  Identity Verified
Montenegro
Local time: 13:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2019

Hello all. My customer accepted my translation in Smartcat and has now asked for several changes. Is there any way to make the changes after the customer has accepted the translation? When I try to get back into the translation I get a message that indicates that changes cannot be made as the customer has accepted the job. Thanks!

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Can you export the delivered work? Jul 28, 2019

I presume from what you say that you are using an on-line CAT system. If so, does it enable you to export your translation? This would facilitate incorporation of the client's changes - presumably indicated in the source language.

Incidentally, if the work has been accepted, then you are entitled to charge for those changes.

It would be helpful to state the CAT system you use, whether it is on-line and whether the changes are indicated in the source language.

... See more
I presume from what you say that you are using an on-line CAT system. If so, does it enable you to export your translation? This would facilitate incorporation of the client's changes - presumably indicated in the source language.

Incidentally, if the work has been accepted, then you are entitled to charge for those changes.

It would be helpful to state the CAT system you use, whether it is on-line and whether the changes are indicated in the source language.

With kind regards.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Adam Jul 28, 2019

IanDhu wrote:
It would be helpful to state the CAT system you use, whether it is on-line and...

Well, this is the Smartcat subforum, so the CAT system is "Smartcat", and yes, it's online. (-:

smartcat

[Edited at 2019-07-28 07:57 GMT]

DIANNE BEREST
Montenegro
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Downloads in EmEditor Jul 28, 2019

Thank you IanDhu. I downloaded the translation from Smartcat and it downloaded as an XLIFF file in EmEditor, which contains all the original and translated text as well as the code - all in a single row. I am able to modify the text there so I suppose I can make the modifications and send the customer that file without going through Smartcat. I wish I knew for sure that this will work and that the customer will not have any problems uploading the new XLIFF file onto their tool (Articulate Ris... See more
Thank you IanDhu. I downloaded the translation from Smartcat and it downloaded as an XLIFF file in EmEditor, which contains all the original and translated text as well as the code - all in a single row. I am able to modify the text there so I suppose I can make the modifications and send the customer that file without going through Smartcat. I wish I knew for sure that this will work and that the customer will not have any problems uploading the new XLIFF file onto their tool (Articulate Rise). With the text all in a single line, it will take some work to enter the changes (not a few, unfortunately) and I'd hate to waste my time just to find out the file doesn't work for them. This is the first time I'm working with translation software (yes, a bit late in the game, I know) and with XLIFF files and the customer already had a hard time uploading the initial XLIFF file from Smartcat onto her tool, so I am wary. Any experience or suggestions would be most welcome.Collapse

Adam Warren
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Notepad ++ : could this help? Jul 28, 2019

This can be downloaded for free, and it has an option for 'wrapping' the text. It could help readability in making sense of a long row of characters. I hope it helps. In any case, you have done much to ease the situation: well done!

DIANNE BEREST
Montenegro
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Notepad Jul 28, 2019

Thank you IanDhu. Will give it a shot.

Adam Warren
France
Member (2005)
French to English
N. B. Notepad++ Jul 28, 2019

You could try googling for it. I hope it works for you.

DIANNE BEREST
Montenegro
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Smartcat response to this Jul 28, 2019

In case it's helpful to someone else, Smartcat indicated that the customer needs to make any change (even adding a space) in the original document. This will change the status of the document from "completed" to "in progress". The customer must then re-assign the document to the translator and the translator will be able to make the required changes. They sent these screenshots about the process... See more
In case it's helpful to someone else, Smartcat indicated that the customer needs to make any change (even adding a space) in the original document. This will change the status of the document from "completed" to "in progress". The customer must then re-assign the document to the translator and the translator will be able to make the required changes. They sent these screenshots about the process:

http://skrinshoter.ru/s/280719/DrJeqYLq?a
http://skrinshoter.ru/s/280719/t9doYe9g?a
http://skrinshoter.ru/s/280719/8r6pgKws?a
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Modifying translation after customer has accepted the translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »