NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 09:22
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Aug 8, 2018

No matter what I try, Word starts by saying it needs to open in safe mode; whether I click yes or no, the Word box disappears, and that's the end of it.

I've spent a cuple days looking at the Microsoft community forums and found all kinds of solutions involving uninstalling and reinstalling Office, making up a new user to try it that way, etc. I do have an error code: 1079741819.

Is anybody else encountering this issue, and any new solutions to it, please?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Lots of answers here Aug 8, 2018

Have you looked at all of these?

See more
Have you looked at all of these?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=WlRrW86tDOzfgAaOxp3oAg&q=Word%20(office%20365)%20will%20NOT%20open&oq=Word%20(office%20365)%20will%20NOT%20open&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30k1l3.623.623.0.981.2.1.0.0.0.0.133.133.0j1.1.0....0...1c.2.64.psy-ab..1.1.132.0...0.5ZynMNLNDDQ
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:22
French to English
If you pay monthly Aug 8, 2018

If you pay monthly, it's always worth checking that your means of payment is up to date.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
So far, not so good Aug 9, 2018

I've tried these different things... and paid yearly, and Microsoft says I last paid in March, so up to date.

I forgot to mention, only Word is giving me trouble. Other Office products work just fine.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Done these? Aug 9, 2018

NancyLynn wrote:

I've tried these different things...

So you have done things like trying to manually open Word in safe mode, deleting the Normal.dotm template, re-registering WinWord, etc.?

[Edited at 2018-08-09 17:19 GMT]

Samantha Horton

Samantha Horton
Samantha Horton
Australia
Local time: 00:22
English
+ ...
Similar issue Aug 11, 2018

I had a very similar issue. Word may not necessarily be the issue. It could be the OS. In my case, it happened after I had installed Windows 10 a while ago. As time went by, more applications refused to open. My computer became useless. I made a backup on a portable hard drive and uninstalled and then reinstalled Windows 10 and my applications and it was fine after that. Try to uninstall and reinstall MS Office first and see how it goes. Also check if any other applications are failing to launch... See more
I had a very similar issue. Word may not necessarily be the issue. It could be the OS. In my case, it happened after I had installed Windows 10 a while ago. As time went by, more applications refused to open. My computer became useless. I made a backup on a portable hard drive and uninstalled and then reinstalled Windows 10 and my applications and it was fine after that. Try to uninstall and reinstall MS Office first and see how it goes. Also check if any other applications are failing to launch.Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Solved? Aug 12, 2018

NancyLynn wrote:

No matter what I try, Word starts by saying it needs to open in safe mode; whether I click yes or no, the Word box disappears, and that's the end of it.

I've spent a cuple days looking at the Microsoft community forums and found all kinds of solutions involving uninstalling and reinstalling Office, making up a new user to try it that way, etc. I do have an error code: 1079741819.

Is anybody else encountering this issue, and any new solutions to it, please?

Have you solved this problem yet? If so, how?

Peter van der Hoek
Peter van der Hoek
Spain
Local time: 14:22
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Repair Office. Aug 13, 2018

Normally this can be solved by going to programs and features, select Microsoft Office 365 and click Repair.

This repair will take a while but almost always solves any problems with office.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
You know, it sorta fixed itself Aug 16, 2018

Don't ask me what did it though...

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Update? Aug 17, 2018

NancyLynn wrote:

Don't ask me what did it though...

Office 365 is subject to automatic updates from Microsoft. I have noticed occasional strange problems that disappear after awhile and I wonder whether they are flagged and quietly repaired by Microsoft during their weekly update.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word (office 365) will NOT open

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »