Proz PLUS package for training: Is it worth it?
Thread poster: Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 14:37
French to Italian
+ ...
Mar 18, 2021

Hi All,
My subscription is about to expire and I'm considering the PLUS package. Would you recommend it? Are the perks really worth it? Some of them look obsolete, like the IATE glossary (now available for free as a Studio plugin) or the professional membership to TMtown (I have a basic account and don't use it at all) or removing ads (adblock does that too). I am curious about the video library because I would like to take a look into medical translation. Should I get the PLUS package for
... See more
Hi All,
My subscription is about to expire and I'm considering the PLUS package. Would you recommend it? Are the perks really worth it? Some of them look obsolete, like the IATE glossary (now available for free as a Studio plugin) or the professional membership to TMtown (I have a basic account and don't use it at all) or removing ads (adblock does that too). I am curious about the video library because I would like to take a look into medical translation. Should I get the PLUS package for this or just pay for on demand trainings?
Thank you in advance
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
$60 Mar 18, 2021

Elena Feriani wrote:
My subscription is about to expire and I'm considering the PLUS package. ... I am curious about the video library. ... Should I get the PLUS package for this or just pay for on demand trainings?

Well, if you pay for trainings one by one, it'll add up to the $60 price difference very quickly. Not all videos are free for Plus members, but many of them are. Visit this page and see how many of them say "or subscribe to the plus package" or "free for the plus package" or similar. Unfortunately you can't filter video's based on whether they're free in the Plus package -- you have to visit their pages one by one by one. But I think you'll quickly find enough video's to make up for the $60 price difference.

Angie Garbarino
Elena Feriani
bris97
Dalia Nour
Sheila Wilson
Yaotl Altan
Bajram Djambazi

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 18, 2021

I get lost sometimes in this website, the link you posted was super helpful!

Yaotl Altan

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Buongiorno, Elena Mar 18, 2021

As a nonplusser myself, I'd say nay to that.
However, if you still haven't read it, here is a thread on the subject,
https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/322045-to_plus_or_not_to_plus.html

Elena Feriani
Dalia Nour
bris97
writeaway

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Ciao Elena Mar 18, 2021

I think it's worth it if you want to watch more than a couple of video trainings. I suggest asking yourself how many videos you'd like to watch — some of them are rather expensive, others not so much, but if you are interested in a lot of them, you can easily save some money by going for the Plus membership. Another thing to consider is that you will have a full license to CafeTran Espresso. I played around with it a little, but haven't really used it as most of my clients ask for Trados and s... See more
I think it's worth it if you want to watch more than a couple of video trainings. I suggest asking yourself how many videos you'd like to watch — some of them are rather expensive, others not so much, but if you are interested in a lot of them, you can easily save some money by going for the Plus membership. Another thing to consider is that you will have a full license to CafeTran Espresso. I played around with it a little, but haven't really used it as most of my clients ask for Trados and send me an already prepared package. It looks a bit confusing to me, but as far as I understand from people posting here, it's really rather good when you get used to it.Collapse

Elena Feriani
Yaotl Altan

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Barbara and Marina Mar 18, 2021

@Barbara, Thank you for your opinion on this matter and for the link to the thread. It turns out that one of the perks I overlooked is a membership to an exclusive Facebook group!

@Marina, As for the CAT tool, I'm not interested in using a new one right now, as for the videos, hopefully they're worth the money. I have a couple of weeks left to decide.

Barbara Carrara
Marina Taffetani

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:37
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
FB group Mar 18, 2021

Elena Feriani wrote:
It turns out that one of the perks I overlooked is a membership to an exclusive Facebook group!

That can be very useful to have, if you make good use of it. The training videos too. Also, you can get a member of staff to help you come up with the best possible profile in a more personalised webinar than the free-for-all one.

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm in :) Mar 19, 2021

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Elena Feriani wrote:
It turns out that one of the perks I overlooked is a membership to an exclusive Facebook group!

That can be very useful to have, if you make good use of it. The training videos too. Also, you can get a member of staff to help you come up with the best possible profile in a more personalised webinar than the free-for-all one.

Hi Sheila,
I'm curious about the FB group, but also don't want to reactivate my FB account. Anyway, browsing free videos I found a $30 off coupon for the PLUS package and subscribed. I couldn't say no to that!

Bernadette Putman
Bernadette Putman  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2023)
English to French
+ ...
medical training Proz PLUS package: Is it worth it Feb 18

Hello everyone,

I'm upping this post because it turns out I have exactly the same question as Elena (back in 2021). I am also interested in the medical translation training videos and am considering the Plus package.

Has anybody viewed these videos and what are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz PLUS package for training: Is it worth it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »