Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 05:27
French to Italian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2020

Hi all,

One of my biggest UK clients has opened a new office in China. For the first couple of months this didn't affect me, but then they started paying me separately for projects managed in UK and China. The problem is that I pay around 30 euro bank fees for the Chinese bank transaction... also 2 of my invoices are now inaccurate because I got paid by two separate companies in different countries.
The agency uses an automated invoicing system, and didn't give me any notice a
... See more
Hi all,

One of my biggest UK clients has opened a new office in China. For the first couple of months this didn't affect me, but then they started paying me separately for projects managed in UK and China. The problem is that I pay around 30 euro bank fees for the Chinese bank transaction... also 2 of my invoices are now inaccurate because I got paid by two separate companies in different countries.
The agency uses an automated invoicing system, and didn't give me any notice about this change. So I found out when checking my bank statement. Also they refuse to pay through Paypal because they only do bank transfers and suggest I can get paid every 2-3 months to save 30-60 euros.

I wonder if this is legal, I haven't signed any contract with this Chinese company that is paying me now. Anyhow, for me this means 360 euro loss/year. Is there a way to lose less money? I only have an Italian bank account at the moment, but I am willing to open a dedicated account as this is a "good" client.

[Edited at 2020-08-29 08:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-08-29 08:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-08-29 08:33 GMT]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 11:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
Annoying, but not uncommon Aug 29, 2020

It's not uncommon for international companies to have separate billing for each of their regional entity's projects, and there is little you can do about this fact in itself; it's certainly not easier or cheaper to send a bank transfer from China.

What you can do is:
1. Ascertain where the bank charges come from - their bank, an intermediary bank, or your bank.
2. Attempt to slap the bank charges on them - either insist that they pay their own bank charges or the
... See more
It's not uncommon for international companies to have separate billing for each of their regional entity's projects, and there is little you can do about this fact in itself; it's certainly not easier or cheaper to send a bank transfer from China.

What you can do is:
1. Ascertain where the bank charges come from - their bank, an intermediary bank, or your bank.
2. Attempt to slap the bank charges on them - either insist that they pay their own bank charges or the bank charges on both sides (this depends, of course, on the answer you get from point 1). It is quite possible that they will flat-out refuse, and there is a non-zero risk that you will lose the client.
3. Save money with bigger transactions, for example by combining invoices as they say.

It is unlikely that you will be able to avoid the bank charges by opening a bank account, unless (and possibly even if) the bank they use operates in your country.
Collapse

Aline Amorim

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 29, 2020

Hi Lincoln, thank you for your advice. i don't really like the idea of number 3 and I've already tried number 2. I'll try number 1 and will also try to negotiate a higher minimum rate to cover the extra costs.

Annoying indeed

Josephine Cassar
Anastasia Andriani

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 21:27
Dutch to English
+ ...
Had same problem Aug 29, 2020

I had the same problem last year with a company that stopped paying via Paypal. For a while, I combined invoices over several months but the amount wasn't always high enough to make the bank fee acceptable. I had been working with this company for many years and had good relationships with the PMs but lately there were some other problems: new, less flexible management, high turnover of PMs, and in the end I stopped working for that company.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:27
German to English
+ ...
re: 2 - 3 month option Aug 30, 2020

For quite a few years I had a good client that was based in Hong Kong. We arranged the 2 - 3 month option. I accepted it because they were a very good client, including reliable about payment. I never felt totally at ease because it does entail more risk, with larger accumulated amounts at stake. I client that suddenly makes changes, as in your case, without the translator being consulted even - I'd not like that!

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All is good Aug 31, 2020

Thank you all for taking the time of writing your suggestions and experiences. The company just accepted my request of implementing higher minimum fees and that will cover the extra costs, as I get quite a lot of smaller jobs. Being paid every 2-3 months is still an option, when amounts are low but I'd rather get paid a lot and every month.
Have a great week.
Elena

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Have a look there Aug 31, 2020

https://qonto.com/es

or even N26 for that matter. But I think Qonto is better (according to the reviews they get). They brag to have the lowest fees.

Elena Feriani

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Christophe Sep 1, 2020

Christophe Delaunay wrote:

https://qonto.com/es

I'll look into this. Thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting paid from China all of a sudden

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »