Is this a safe way to be paid, could this be a scam?
Thread poster: Cydonie Miles
Cydonie Miles
Cydonie Miles  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:45
French to English
Jun 1, 2020

Hello everyone,

I had a lady contact me after finding me on ProZ, but it seems she doesn’t have an account on the site, which concerned me a little bit.

She asked if I could quote her on a job, so I did so, and she replied to me this morning. It was a French to English case study on agricultural practices in Europe. It kind of looked like a university dissertation, so I wasn’t sure about their budget, but sent a quote anyway, thinking about if it’s a poor student
... See more
Hello everyone,

I had a lady contact me after finding me on ProZ, but it seems she doesn’t have an account on the site, which concerned me a little bit.

She asked if I could quote her on a job, so I did so, and she replied to me this morning. It was a French to English case study on agricultural practices in Europe. It kind of looked like a university dissertation, so I wasn’t sure about their budget, but sent a quote anyway, thinking about if it’s a poor student it will probably be a no.

She agreed to the price straight away with no negotiating. She’s now asking to pay me directly by wire transfer, but I would rather be paid via the site or by PayPal as it’s safer. I also don’t have any reputation on the site, as I’m new here and I’ve done work elsewhere, I find it a little strange she wants to pay me straight away when in theory she doesn’t know if I could be scamming her.

I have attached an image of her email below, what do you think of it?

Many thanks for your help!

13ACF8EC-F221-404E-A82C-CDD24CE7A221
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:45
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Yes, it is a scam Jun 1, 2020

Cydonie Miles wrote:
She agreed to the price straight away with no negotiating. She’s now asking to pay me directly by wire transfer, but I would rather be paid via the site or by PayPal as it’s safer.

As a general rule, if somebody you don't know isn't negotiating, and is paying upfront, it's probably a scam. The way it works is that they would "overpay" you and ask you to refund the "overpaid" amount, then disappear once they got the "refund" from you.

See this recent thread:

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/340208-research_project_on_agricultural_reforms_in_eu_translation_scam_marie_stephens.html

Good that you listened to your instincts, but stay watchful; there are many predators out there. Search the forums first of all. Don't trust any person or company that you can't find on the Blue Board here at Proz.com or on www.paymentpractices.net.

Regards,
Dan

Thayenga
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Lidija Klemencic
Thomas T. Frost
Liviu-Lee Roth
Ventnai
Yolanda Broad

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Classic scam Jun 1, 2020

It's a classic scam wording and method.

They make you think they'll pay by bank transfer, but in reality they will post a counterfeit cheque directly to your bank, hoping to trick you into believing it has been credited via bank transfer when you see the transaction online.

PayPal is not safer than bank transfer, by the way. It's probably the other way around, but I don't have figures to back it up. If someone pays with a stolen credit card via PayPal, PayPal will uncer
... See more
It's a classic scam wording and method.

They make you think they'll pay by bank transfer, but in reality they will post a counterfeit cheque directly to your bank, hoping to trick you into believing it has been credited via bank transfer when you see the transaction online.

PayPal is not safer than bank transfer, by the way. It's probably the other way around, but I don't have figures to back it up. If someone pays with a stolen credit card via PayPal, PayPal will unceremoniously take the money back as soon as the legitimate card holder contests the transaction. A scammer could obtain a free translation that way. When something like that happens, PayPal staff clam up like an oyster and carefully avoid doing anything that could possibly be construed as guidance or assistance to you. It's a company I don't trust.
Collapse

Slobodan Kozarčić
Liviu-Lee Roth
Tina Vonhof (X)
Ventnai
Yolanda Broad
Philippe Etienne

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Cydonie Jun 1, 2020

It looks like someone is impersonating a Proz member (https://www.proz.com/profile/1555762) with the same name. If I were you I’d get in touch with her through her profile...

Yolanda Broad
Philippe Etienne

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Scam forum; Scam centre Jun 1, 2020

This site has areas that are designed to protect you. Well done for getting advice here, but please -- before you do anything else -- visit the ProZ.com Scam Centre. Not only can you find out about all the past scams, but you can also sign up for automatic notification of any new ones the scammers come up with. Many -- such as this one -- are also detailed in the Scam Forum, so get notified of new threads there too.

In addition, there's a Wiki article on the site called "Risk Manage
... See more
This site has areas that are designed to protect you. Well done for getting advice here, but please -- before you do anything else -- visit the ProZ.com Scam Centre. Not only can you find out about all the past scams, but you can also sign up for automatic notification of any new ones the scammers come up with. Many -- such as this one -- are also detailed in the Scam Forum, so get notified of new threads there too.

In addition, there's a Wiki article on the site called "Risk Management". It details some of the measures we should be taking to limit our risks of being scammed. There are many others procedures you could consider, depending on the amount of risk you're about to take on. Google for "Risk Management" and "Due Diligence" for lots of other ideas.

Stay safe!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Michele Fauble
Tina Vonhof (X)
Ventnai
Philippe Etienne
Cydonie Miles

Hwaet
Hwaet
United States
Local time: 07:45
French to English
+ ...
Same! Jun 14, 2020

I think I just got the same one. The name is different, but it's 19,000 words on agriculture to be translated from French to English, and then the proposal to pay part of the fee in advance, which was a red flag - roughly $1k before any work is started.

Yolanda Broad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a safe way to be paid, could this be a scam?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »