Please Help! How do I deliver the review of an xlf file received by email?
Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 20, 2020

I accepted a request to review a translation by Monday morning 8 am and then received an xlf file, which I could use regularly in my mQ 2015 7.8.179. I have completed the review, and now I realize that mQ does not allow me to save a reviewed version of the xlf file!?

The working directory in documents\mymemoqprojects does not contain any xlf file or any file similar to the original. So what am I supposed to send?

I have now exported a bilingual xliff file, resulting in
... See more
I accepted a request to review a translation by Monday morning 8 am and then received an xlf file, which I could use regularly in my mQ 2015 7.8.179. I have completed the review, and now I realize that mQ does not allow me to save a reviewed version of the xlf file!?

The working directory in documents\mymemoqprojects does not contain any xlf file or any file similar to the original. So what am I supposed to send?

I have now exported a bilingual xliff file, resulting in a file with .mqxlz extension. This looks like the only way to send back the revision file, but I wonder if it is what the client expects. I hope somebody can please confirm that this is right or point me in the right direction before I send out the file this evening...
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:32
Danish to English
+ ...
Plain Xliff Sep 20, 2020

Just select the option Plain Xliff for other tools in the export options pane.

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 20, 2020

So mqxlz is the right one... Thank you.

(I cannot help but imagine the programmers laughing behind our back when they devised this system)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Luca Sep 20, 2020

Luca Tutino wrote:
Now I realize that mQ does not allow me to save a reviewed version of the xlf file!?

If you open a non-MemoQ XLF file in MemoQ, MemoQ does not treat it as an XLF file but as a source file, and I don't think it stores revisions in it.

If you want to show the client revisions, you have to send the client a MemoQ-specific intermediary XLF file, e.g. the MQXLZ file.

Did the client ask you to do the revisions in MemoQ?

The working directory in documents\mymemoqprojects does not contain any xlf file or any file similar to the original.

No, MemoQ is database driven and does not store bilingual files or even the final files anywhere. If you want a bilingual MemoQ-specific file or the final file, you have to specifically export if from within MemoQ.

[Edited at 2020-09-20 20:53 GMT]

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see now Sep 20, 2020

Hi Samuel,

you are right: mQ does not save anything in the xlf file, not even the changes. I realized that I might need to send some other type of file, but I expected to find a command to that effect in the review tab or somewhere else. The export command is also a good place, but I failed to recognize the "[Plain Xliff for other tools] as a link and took it for part of the description of the command...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Luca Sep 20, 2020

Luca Tutino wrote:
I failed to recognize the "[Plain Xliff for other tools] as a link and took it for part of the description of the command...

No, if you right-click the file and select Export, you must choose "Export (Choose Path)" to create a final XLF file.

If you choose any of the three options on the "Export Bilingual" dialog, you'll be creating temporary, intermediary files which the client may not be able to use (unless the client had specifically asked for a MemoQ file). The files created by the "Export Bilingual" dialog are temporary files that are meant to be re-imported into the same project later.

I know this is confusing because your source file is an XLF file, but try this: create a new project with a DOCX file, translate a few strings, and then try these various options until you find one that produces a translated version of your DOCX file. That is the same option that you must use for your client's XLF file also (unless your client had specifically asked for a MemoQ file).

Luca Tutino wrote:
MemoQ does not save anything in the XLF file, not even the changes.

It should. Did you confirm the segments?

Oh, in case you don't know, MemoQ doesn't edit the original file itself. It imports that source file, and then later generates a copy of that file with the translation in it. The original source file remains untouched. Sorry, this was a very silly and obvious thing to say, but I'm just trying to make sense of your comment.

[Edited at 2020-09-20 21:53 GMT]

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is crazy... Sep 20, 2020

I have tried changing the export path as you said (the original export path was to a drive on the client pc). I pressed Test, then I Applied the new Path and checked that it was retained. Now, same as before, the problem is that the obvious option "Export (stored path)" is still gray/unavailable!

The only options I have from within the Editor or from the Project home view are "Export Bilingual" and "Change Export Path".
Some of the segments in the xlf file received were not co
... See more
I have tried changing the export path as you said (the original export path was to a drive on the client pc). I pressed Test, then I Applied the new Path and checked that it was retained. Now, same as before, the problem is that the obvious option "Export (stored path)" is still gray/unavailable!

The only options I have from within the Editor or from the Project home view are "Export Bilingual" and "Change Export Path".
Some of the segments in the xlf file received were not confirmed. However I have "Reviewer 1 Confirmed" all of them.

I have been regularly using mQ since 2015 with files on servers and on my pc, and I never had this problem before...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please Help! How do I deliver the review of an xlf file received by email?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »