How can I use memoQ on two computers (via cloud)?
Thread poster: Veronika Hoffmann
Veronika Hoffmann
Veronika Hoffmann
Germany
Local time: 03:26
English to German
Jul 24, 2020

Hi everyone!

I have a normal Translators Pro license of memoQ and am wondering if there's a way I can use it across two computers somehow. Now, I know I am allowed to install the software on two computers, that's not been an issue. I have it on my Windows 8 desktop PC and my Windows 10 laptop. However, ideally, I'd like to just continue a project I started on the desktop PC later on with my laptop.

To do this, I installed pCloud, which is a cloud service that gives you
... See more
Hi everyone!

I have a normal Translators Pro license of memoQ and am wondering if there's a way I can use it across two computers somehow. Now, I know I am allowed to install the software on two computers, that's not been an issue. I have it on my Windows 8 desktop PC and my Windows 10 laptop. However, ideally, I'd like to just continue a project I started on the desktop PC later on with my laptop.

To do this, I installed pCloud, which is a cloud service that gives you 10GB free space and automatically creates a new virtual drive called p:\. So I imagined I'd just install memoQ on both computers on the p:\ drive and then ideally all my PC projects would show up on the laptop, but it doesn't seem to work. The projects of one computer don't show up on the other one.

Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:26
English to French
+ ...
Package? Jul 25, 2020

Veronika Hoffmann wrote:

Hi everyone!

To do this, I installed pCloud, which is a cloud service that gives you 10GB free space and automatically creates a new virtual drive called p:\. So I imagined I'd just install memoQ on both computers on the p:\ drive and then ideally all my PC projects would show up on the laptop, but it doesn't seem to work. The projects of one computer don't show up on the other one.

Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?

It depends on what sort of workflow you want to achieve. Exporting and importing projects would probably be the simplest way to do this.

If you are looking for instant live features, this would probably be harder to setup. If it's just real time update of your TM you are after, you can do it with Wordfast Server (free for freelancers up to 3 connections). There is some info about it here: https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/334415-a_wordfast_server_thread_at_last.html

If someone knows a way to have the mqxliff being updated live, that would be interesting to know. I'm not aware of any at the moment.

Hope this helps

Veronika Hoffmann
Veronika Hoffmann
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Ideally it synchronizes automatically Jul 25, 2020

The ideal workflow would be that it just synchronizes automatically. I figured if I point all the directories to the same folder on p:\ it should work, but it doesn't. But I guess if that's not possible, exporting/importing will be the way to go.

Thanks!

Paula Darwish
Paula Darwish  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:26
Member (2013)
Turkish to English
+ ...
backup from language terminal Jul 28, 2020

I also sometimes need to share projects between two laptops. I back up the project to MemoQ language terminal using the backup facility in MemoQ, then download it onto the second laptop and import into Memoq there. Once it is on both laptops it is easy to restore the latest version from Language Terminal. I know it is not exactly what you are after as it is not automatic, but it is relatively painless and quick.

Veronika Hoffmann

Veronika Hoffmann
Veronika Hoffmann
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Great tip! Jul 28, 2020

Thanks a lot, that sounds like a very good way of working with memoQ across two computers!

Veronika Hoffmann
Veronika Hoffmann
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Works like a charm Jul 30, 2020

Paula Darwish wrote:

I know it is not exactly what you are after as it is not automatic, but it is relatively painless and quick.

I've tried it now and it works like a charm. Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I use memoQ on two computers (via cloud)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »