MemoQ clearly connects to server upon each confirmation - even on manual sync
Thread poster: John Barber
John Barber
John Barber
United States
Local time: 07:12
German to English
Jul 15, 2020

(for MemoQ desktop version - with client's remote TM)

Why does Memoq obviously still contact the remote server even when it's set to manually sync?

When set to manual sync (and even with a local TM as one of the project TMs), if you're on a slow connection (i.e., bad wi-fi), it takes longer for each segment to confirm. For many other things, the program seems to be using the network connection when you're doing simple things which should just work on your local workst
... See more
(for MemoQ desktop version - with client's remote TM)

Why does Memoq obviously still contact the remote server even when it's set to manually sync?

When set to manual sync (and even with a local TM as one of the project TMs), if you're on a slow connection (i.e., bad wi-fi), it takes longer for each segment to confirm. For many other things, the program seems to be using the network connection when you're doing simple things which should just work on your local workstation. I'm not tech-literate enough to provide details or logs or anything ... but man, whenever a connectivity problem arises on my laptop, MemoQ just can't function at all - it constantly needs to get permission from the Mother Ship to let me do anything I need to do. Is this just how the software functions?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:12
Danish to English
+ ...
Server resources Jul 16, 2020

If the project has any server resources attached, such as a translation memory and a term base, MemoQ still needs to look up matches for the next segment.

[Edited at 2020-07-16 00:02 GMT]

John Barber
John Barber
United States
Local time: 07:12
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
... Jul 16, 2020

yeah - makes sense. I always have the full TM content already loaded-in, though ... i.e., every segment is pre-translated, and I have a local TM to hold all my own changes. Even then, the software can't just wait until I manually sync to contact the remote server?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@John Jul 16, 2020

John Barber wrote:
Even then, the software can't just wait until I manually sync to contact the remote server?

Does it improve MemoQ's performance if you disconnect from the internet?

If so, you can set a rule in the Windows Firewall that blocks MemoQ (and then later unblock it again). On this page (scroll down to "option four") you'll see that there is even a command-line option to block and unblock, so if this works, it should be easy to block MemoQ temporarily with a BAT file and then simply unblocking it again with another BAT file.

[1] https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/70903-add-remove-allowed-apps-through-windows-firewall-windows-10-a.html

[Edited at 2020-07-16 07:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ clearly connects to server upon each confirmation - even on manual sync

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »