Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:47
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 1, 2020

Hello,

While editing a large number of joint files in a view, the segment number that is visible in the editor window is relative to all the segments in that view. However, I occasionally would need to use a reference to the current string while communicating with the client/reviewer. Is there a way to get the actual segment number of the current segment relative to its original document?

Of course, one way of doing this is to exit the editor, open the relevant documen
... See more
Hello,

While editing a large number of joint files in a view, the segment number that is visible in the editor window is relative to all the segments in that view. However, I occasionally would need to use a reference to the current string while communicating with the client/reviewer. Is there a way to get the actual segment number of the current segment relative to its original document?

Of course, one way of doing this is to exit the editor, open the relevant document singly and find that segment, but that is what I am trying to avoid, for obvious reasons.

Thanks.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:47
English to Russian
Jump to May 1, 2020

You cannot open your glued view and any document from that view simultaneously.
However you can go to the segment in question by clicking on the 'Jump to' command in the View mode. It is located just under the percentage column, bottom right corner of the editor (or bottom left corner of the 'Translation results' pane).
Once you click it, memoQ will bring you to the original document and segment.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Stepan May 1, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:
However you can go to the segment in question by clicking on the 'Jump to' command in the View mode. It is located just under the percentage column, bottom right corner of the editor...

Thanks, too. At first I could not figure out what you mean by "the View mode", but after a while it dawned on me that you mean "the view of the View" (it's a bit confusing that there is a "View" tab and that a glued set of segments is also called a "View", and in computerese any screen you look at is also called a "view"). But I got it, thanks: when the "View" (i.e. the glued set of segments) is open, at the bottom of the match percentage column is a link called "Jump to". I wonder why this link isn't present in the right-click menu when you right-click on a segment.

jump to in memoq

I found no way to "jump back", so you have to memorize the segment's segment number in the View before using "Jump to".

[Edited at 2020-05-01 07:40 GMT]

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get the real segment number

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »