Thread poster: GiorgioAnselmi
GiorgioAnselmi
GiorgioAnselmi
Italy
Local time: 17:17
English to Italian
Apr 17, 2020

Hello fellow translators,

Do you know if there is a way to conveniently add words to termbase for languages whose morphology routinely allows for considerable alterations in words? One example would be Georgian, a language which I am studying, where verbs can change at the beginning and at the end according to person, tense, mood, etc.
Let's make a example with a random verb, to prepare, momzadeba (მომზადება). I won't use official phonemi
... See more
Hello fellow translators,

Do you know if there is a way to conveniently add words to termbase for languages whose morphology routinely allows for considerable alterations in words? One example would be Georgian, a language which I am studying, where verbs can change at the beginning and at the end according to person, tense, mood, etc.
Let's make a example with a random verb, to prepare, momzadeba (მომზადება). I won't use official phonemic transcription, just the commonly used one, to better explain.

The root is mzad.

According to how you use it, this verb could be anything, from vamzadeb to movumzade, from momzadebdi to mogimzadiat and so on. But as far as I understood, wildcards in MemoQ only allow for an alteration at the beginning or at the end of each term. So either | or *, but not at the same time.

Did anyone else stumble in such a problem? I'm sure plenty of other languages pose this problem. If yes, what do you do? Do you use a workaround?
Thanks,

G.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:17
English to Russian
Just treat them as different terms Apr 17, 2020

Below is a short list of Russian words with root 'бег' ('run').
I can't see any option other than just adding as many terms as you can and set the Matching parameter to 'Fuzzy' and the Case sensitivity to 'No' for all new and existing terms (you can do it in batch). This is how memoQ can cover as many variants as possible.... See more
Below is a short list of Russian words with root 'бег' ('run').
I can't see any option other than just adding as many terms as you can and set the Matching parameter to 'Fuzzy' and the Case sensitivity to 'No' for all new and existing terms (you can do it in batch). This is how memoQ can cover as many variants as possible.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terms with both prepositions and postpositions

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »