Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:53
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 14, 2020

Hello Collegues,

I've upgraded to MemoQ 9.2 and I went to the Locations. When I click on Resources/Temporary files, etc, I get this warning:

"The path you have chosen appears to be on a network drive. memoQ will not work properly if you store resources on a network drive...."

I hadn't chosen any path, it did it itself during installation. Now, the Kilgray Support told storing memoQ files and folders in a shared folder is not supported as it may give issues,
... See more
Hello Collegues,

I've upgraded to MemoQ 9.2 and I went to the Locations. When I click on Resources/Temporary files, etc, I get this warning:

"The path you have chosen appears to be on a network drive. memoQ will not work properly if you store resources on a network drive...."

I hadn't chosen any path, it did it itself during installation. Now, the Kilgray Support told storing memoQ files and folders in a shared folder is not supported as it may give issues, such as being corrupted.

How do you manage it?

Thanks
Collapse

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Keep them on the C drive Mar 18, 2020

Hi Lucia,

I keep my memoQ files on the Windows C drive for the very same reason.

Kind regards, Johan

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you run MemoQ on Parallel? Mar 18, 2020

Hi Johan,

don't you have shared folders?

Johan Kjallman
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Yes, but only in one direction Mar 26, 2020

Hi Lucia,

I have Parallels configured so that I can access the files residing on the Mac side in Windows (to e.g. import source files in memoQ), but I can't access the files residing on the Windows side (C: drive) in Mac Finder. I keep my source documents, target files, reference files etc. on the Mac side, but all memoQ's database files on the C drive (TMs, TBs, light resources etc.). I then automatically mirror these C drive folders twice a day (when I'm not working in memoQ) to a
... See more
Hi Lucia,

I have Parallels configured so that I can access the files residing on the Mac side in Windows (to e.g. import source files in memoQ), but I can't access the files residing on the Windows side (C: drive) in Mac Finder. I keep my source documents, target files, reference files etc. on the Mac side, but all memoQ's database files on the C drive (TMs, TBs, light resources etc.). I then automatically mirror these C drive folders twice a day (when I'm not working in memoQ) to a Dropbox folder on the Mac side to keep an incremental backup in the cloud. I know that some translators continue to keep everything on network drives without running into issues so far, though Kilgray advises to avoid this scenario as apparently the risk of failure increases. Hope that helps! /Johan
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Dropbox Mar 26, 2020

Dropbox is a nice and tested solution. Share a Dropbox folder via Dropbox for macOS and Dropbox for MS Windows.

Dropbox also offers a very good versioning system that comes in handy in case of Murphy's law.

Johan Kjallman
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Only when you are not writing to the files Mar 26, 2020

Hi Hans,

from what I understand you should not put the resource files directly in a Dropbox folder, as there's a risk for conflicts if Dropbox tries to synchronize the database files while memoQ is writing to them. That's why I only sync those files to a Dropbox folder twice a day when I'm not using memoQ.
I base this on what Kilgray's engineers used to say back when Dropbox and similar services where first released several years ago. Maybe something has changed since.
<
... See more
Hi Hans,

from what I understand you should not put the resource files directly in a Dropbox folder, as there's a risk for conflicts if Dropbox tries to synchronize the database files while memoQ is writing to them. That's why I only sync those files to a Dropbox folder twice a day when I'm not using memoQ.
I base this on what Kilgray's engineers used to say back when Dropbox and similar services where first released several years ago. Maybe something has changed since.

/Johan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 9.2 on Parallel 11 running on iOS High Sierra

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »