Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 12, 2020

Dear colleagues,

I have a client who sends me a constant flow of updates to be performed on MemoQWeb.
What drives me crazy every time is, let us say, I have a file like right now with 32,400 segments, and there is only about 112 words to be translated. Basically 99% is translated and locked and only 1% is there waiting for me. Unfortunately, the segments can be anywhere in the file.
It is me not being so skilled or it is really so, that Memoq does not consider the possib
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have a client who sends me a constant flow of updates to be performed on MemoQWeb.
What drives me crazy every time is, let us say, I have a file like right now with 32,400 segments, and there is only about 112 words to be translated. Basically 99% is translated and locked and only 1% is there waiting for me. Unfortunately, the segments can be anywhere in the file.
It is me not being so skilled or it is really so, that Memoq does not consider the possibility one needs to filter by state (untranslated or unlocked)?

So far I have searched everywhere for this option, to my surprise, I see there is a filter for 'Locked' - (useless, I cannot imagine what I would do if I would decide to see only locked segments, since they are locked...). I find nothing for 'Unlocked' or 'Untranslated', etc.

Now I have to scroll screen down slowly, it takes a lot of time, and try to spot at least the first one, to start from there, this is not precise and very time consuming. What am I doing wrong?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Soraya Feb 12, 2020

Soraya Hoepfner wrote:
Basically 99% is translated and locked and only 1% is there waiting for me. Unfortunately, the segments can be anywhere in the file.

Yes, MemoQwebtrans is very much a half-baked product. Half of the buttons on the toolbar are useful, but half are not, and half of the useful features are missing.

Yes, for some reason you can set the filter to show only locked segments, but not only unlocked segments. As you, I have asked myself "why on earth" would anyone want to filter that way. I know of no way to jump to the next untranslated or next unlocked segment. You just have to scroll, one screen at a time (and wait for it to load each time) and hope that you'll see that one segment in a thousand that is not yet translated. Oh, and there no way to select multiple segments and go "copy source to target", so if the file consists of 99% segments that must not be changed (i.e., copy source to target), you have to perform the copy-source-to-target action on each segment individually. And while you can select multiple segments to mark them as confirmed, you can only do that if there aren't any locked segments in-between. And a lot of the time, some signals seem to go lost, and when you go back to the file, you discover random segments were not confirmed.

The only positive thing I can say about MemoQwebtrans is that you can copy the source text (including tags) to a plain text file, translate it, and then paste it back (as plain text) into the target field, and all the tags will appear as if you have inserted them manually. Very, very nice. Compare that to XTM or Smartling, where you can copy tags, but not paste them.

I recently had to do second proofreading of "tracked changes" in MemoQwebtrans, and discovered that the accept and reject buttons work in a way that is firstly unintuitive and secondly mostly useless. And you have to use the mouse -- no keyboard shortcuts for accepting or rejecting edits or for moving to the next or previous edit, and no accept/reject all.

Now I have to scroll screen down slowly, it takes a lot of time, and try to spot at least the first one, to start from there, this is not precise and very time consuming.

Yes, a MemoQwebtrans job always takes longer than just the time for translation. The non-translation time is spent waiting for the system to respond, waiting for things to load, and going through the file a second or third time to see which segments mysteriously did not get confirmed. Or, in your case, trying to figure out where the untranslated segments are.

You should ask your client to send you the MemoQ XLIFF file (if you have a program that can edit it), or an RTF file from MemoQ.

[Edited at 2020-02-12 16:16 GMT]

Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, and OMG! Feb 12, 2020

Dear Samuel,

thank you for your in-depth account of the flaws, I must say I am quite surprised but at least relieved the problem is not me. What really bothers me is that... the filter tool already exists! So, I cannot make sense out of the capability of filtering locked but NOT unlocked, which theoretically is precisely what one would ever want to touch.

Indeed, 112 words took me no kidding a half-hour scrolling the page down, I have a very fast internet connection so
... See more
Dear Samuel,

thank you for your in-depth account of the flaws, I must say I am quite surprised but at least relieved the problem is not me. What really bothers me is that... the filter tool already exists! So, I cannot make sense out of the capability of filtering locked but NOT unlocked, which theoretically is precisely what one would ever want to touch.

Indeed, 112 words took me no kidding a half-hour scrolling the page down, I have a very fast internet connection so I have never experienced long loading times, but a file over 30K segments is no joke, and it is a very common size for this client, which runs updates integrated in the matrix document, is ridiculous, I could never charge for the time spent in a way that is fair for the client.

I have already informed the client about the challenge with their choice of tool and in my case, among over 20, the only one working with Memoq so to acquire the desktop version is out of question for me.

Thanks for the tip about asking for a xliff for the file, maybe I can convince them so...

Best Regards,
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

filtering on MemoQ Web

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »