Thread poster: Veronique Parente
Veronique Parente
Veronique Parente  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:32
English to French
+ ...
Feb 1, 2020

I'm tempted by MemoQ but I have heard the best and the worst about it. There is now a possibility to buy it with 30% off via Proz (https://www.proz.com/tgb/1243) till 5 February, still 3 persons needed to complete the list, so perhaps a good opportunity. However such purchase remains a difficult decision that I would not like to regret afterwards. Can you share your experience about this tool? Thank you.

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:32
Member (2002)
English to German
The best Feb 1, 2020

I'm working with XTM, Star Transit and Trados. In the past I also used DVX.
MemoQ is by far my favourite software.

Wolfgang Schoene
Ryan Shevlane
two2tango

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:32
Danish to English
+ ...
Try it yourself Feb 1, 2020

You still have time to download a trial version and see what you think. The truth is probably somewhere in between best and worst.

I have used it for almost five years and am generally satisfied, even though there is always room for improvement. I find it way more intuitive than Trados, but some prefer Trados.

Vesa Korhonen

Tanguy Przybylski
Tanguy Przybylski  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:32
Member (2008)
Japanese to French
+ ...
Go ahead Feb 2, 2020

I started using MemoQ 10 years ago and never regret it.

It's far easier to manage than Trados, lighter for your PC too, and in case you encounter any problem, their staff is really quick, nice and helpful (the complete opposite of SDL).

You also have only one interface whatever the file you use (word, xls or powerpoint file).

You can also add third party add-on (for example I use Antidote for French or English spell and grammar check but now you can also us
... See more
I started using MemoQ 10 years ago and never regret it.

It's far easier to manage than Trados, lighter for your PC too, and in case you encounter any problem, their staff is really quick, nice and helpful (the complete opposite of SDL).

You also have only one interface whatever the file you use (word, xls or powerpoint file).

You can also add third party add-on (for example I use Antidote for French or English spell and grammar check but now you can also use it in Trados too).

You should give it a try. Install the demo version on your PC and test it.

Your feeling is better than any comment.
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Mina Chen
Ryan Shevlane
two2tango

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 02:32
Chinese to English
+ ...
Fine Feb 2, 2020

It's flawed, definitely, but so are all the other options on the market that have the same capability, and personally I find MemoQ's flaws more tolerable than Trados'.

Mina Chen

Juan Gaviria
Juan Gaviria  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 13:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
It sucks Jan 14, 2022

It's a CAT tool with lots of features... that you will never probably use or need.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:32
English to Russian
Top tool Jan 16, 2022

In my experience, memoQ is one the best tools on the market. With its bunch of useful and even unique features (like bilingual Excel feature that supports multiple worksheets), it is streets ahead of other tools. I respect other people's opinion but just out of curiosity: if memoQ sucks, what is you favorite CAT tool? I am eager to see it.

Mina Chen
Wolfgang Schoene
Adieu
Ryan Shevlane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »