A better way to edit a TM?
Thread poster: adrianrff
adrianrff
adrianrff
Venezuela
English to Spanish
Jan 26, 2020

I have been struggling to edit a rather large TM because of how painfully slow the memoQ editor is. It's slow even on good computers and medium-size TM's, is that the case for you folks as well?

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a better way to do this. There's no option to export the TM in a format other than TMX.

Thanks.

HARUN ALI
HARUN ALI
Kenya
Local time: 01:38
Member (2020)
English to Maay Maay
+ ...
A better to admit a TM Jan 26, 2020

Yes, I agree to that point suggested my college. Thanks.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Heartsome TMX editor Jan 26, 2020

adrianrff wrote:

I have been struggling to edit a rather large TM because of how painfully slow the memoQ editor is. It's slow even on good computers and medium-size TM's, is that the case for you folks as well?

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a better way to do this. There's no option to export the TM in a format other than TMX.

Thanks.

Export to TMX, edit in Heartsome TMX editor (open source), reimport. That's what I do. As long as the TMX isn't larger than 1GB, which is the biggest it can handle.

Michael

Stepan Konev
Erwin van Wouw
Christophe Delaunay

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:38
English to Russian
You can download Heartsome for free Jan 26, 2020

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/15tz6sdr1ibp6s7/AADNAUCxKleoM1IZVqGbrUOga
Choose one that fits your OS. I don't know why, but others say that _JRE version is a better choice.
Enjoy.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michael Jan 26, 2020

Michael Beijer wrote:
adrianrff wrote:
There's no option to export the TM in a format other than TMX.

Export to TMX, edit in [tool], reimport.

Is the export from MemoQ TM to TMX lossless?

adrianrff
adrianrff
Venezuela
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 29, 2020

Michael Beijer wrote:

adrianrff wrote:

Thanks.

Export to TMX, edit in Heartsome TMX editor (open source), reimport. That's what I do. As long as the TMX isn't larger than 1GB, which is the biggest it can handle.

Michael

Thanks a million, Michael. I can't believe I didn't know this existed.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
You're welcome! Jan 29, 2020

adrianrff wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

adrianrff wrote:

Thanks.

Michael

Thanks a million, Michael. I can't believe I didn't know this existed.

I use it almost every day, and really hope someone continues working on it, or finally gets around to finishing the new (‘alpha’) version of the old Okapi Olifant (another great TMX editor). The old version can be downloaded at http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html, and is also very useful for certain things the Heartsome editor might be unable to do, or do as well.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
no idea Jan 29, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
adrianrff wrote:
There's no option to export the TM in a format other than TMX.

Export to TMX, edit in [tool], reimport.

Is the export from MemoQ TM to TMX lossless?

No time to test, but I suspect not entirely.

Michael

adrianrff
adrianrff
Venezuela
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again. Jan 29, 2020

Michael Beijer wrote:

I use it almost every day, and really hope someone continues working on it, or finally gets around to finishing the new (‘alpha’) version of the old Okapi Olifant (another great TMX editor). The old version can be downloaded at http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html, and is also very useful for certain things the Heartsome editor might be unable to do, or do as well.

Michael

Thanks again, Michael. I'll give that a try as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A better way to edit a TM?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »