Do I have to remove personal TM from project before delivery?
Thread poster: mirelei
mirelei
mirelei
Finland
Nov 8, 2019

So I feel like this might be a stupid question but I'm a translator starting out so bear with me. If I create a translation memory for my own use, store it on offline on my computer and attach it to client projects, do I have to remove it from the project before delivering the translation? It doesn't deliver my personal TM to the client if I forget to remove it, does it? Just wondering cause otherwise that seems like a big data security risk.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:19
German to English
TM stays with you Nov 8, 2019

As far as I know ...
If you're translating a package, the client will usually supply you with a TM and term base (but you may add your own as well), your return package will only contain the translation and a delivery package information file. If you translate, for example, a Word file sent as a Word file, only the translation is returned. In either case, the information in your TM is secure.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mirelei Nov 8, 2019

mirelei wrote:
I'm a translator starting out.
If I create a translation memory for my own use, store it offline and [use it in] client projects, do I have to remove it from the project before delivering the translation?

I agree that you should not deliver your own translation memory to the client, regardless of CAT tool.

I'm not a MemoQ user myself, but in many other CAT tools the return package is just a zip file with a funny file extension. If this is also true for MemoQ, you can use any unzipping tool (e.g. 7-zip) to unzip it to see what's inside it. Of course, this wouldn't apply if you're delivering directly to a server instead of delivering a "return package" file.

mirelei
mirelei
Finland
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, forgot to mention Nov 8, 2019

Oh right, I didn't think to mention that I always deliver the projects directly to the client's server (I only do translations for one agency atm). So I can't see the return package, which is why I'm so paranoid about this. I think it would make sense if I could only deliver the files that I checked out from the server regardless of whether I also use my own TM but I just want to be absolutely sure.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Nov 8, 2019

As Kevin says, the TM stays with you. The only way it could go to your client is if you send it on purpose. You can´t send it accidentally.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I have to remove personal TM from project before delivery?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »