Thread poster: Nico Wagner
Nico Wagner
Nico Wagner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:43
English to German
Jan 23, 2019

Hi fellow translators,

this is a list of my main issues in memoQ, I would love to hear your feedback about these points.

1. I frequently work in memoQ on server projects with huge TMs and/or slow servers that take several seconds to return the lookup results after switching to a new segment.

My problem is that if I have a predictive typing list open when the server results come back, this list is closed and the cursor jumps unpredictably (depending on wheth
... See more
Hi fellow translators,

this is a list of my main issues in memoQ, I would love to hear your feedback about these points.

1. I frequently work in memoQ on server projects with huge TMs and/or slow servers that take several seconds to return the lookup results after switching to a new segment.

My problem is that if I have a predictive typing list open when the server results come back, this list is closed and the cursor jumps unpredictably (depending on whether I already wrote something in the segment or not). This is becoming extremely disruptive to my work, since I basically have to wait several seconds for the server results before being able to predictably type in the translation grid and not having the cursor yanked away from me.

2. Another issue about the predictive typing list is the following case:

- I start writing a term that brings up a predictive typing suggestion
- I mistype something and press backspace once (still within the same word)
- I continue writing the same term, but after backspacing the predictive typing suggestions are gone and won't come back until I leave the segment and jump back in

3. The predictive typing list usually doesn't open when I start writing something between tags, since memoQ doesn't recognise that I am starting a new word.

Trados has a much more lenient predictive typing list that comes up more predictively, this would really be a huge quality of life improvement in memoQ.

4. One last issue is the speed of the spell checker in memoQ. Due to the slow UI it takes me 2-3 times as long to confirm 100 spelling issues with "Skip all" than it does in Trados, which can add up to a noticeable time loss in larger projects.

If anyone from Kilgray reads this, I will be more than happy to explain and/or demonstrate these issues if needed.

Cheers,
Nico
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:43
Danish to English
+ ...
Mostly agree Jan 23, 2019

1. This sounds like a problem with a specific server (if it only happens with one server but not others) or the network. Have you tried to switch off automatic synchronising?

2. Agree. Annoying. I have mentioned it in a support ticket to MemoQ (the company is no longer called Kilgray). It's enough to move the cursor around in the same segment, though.

4. I always run the spellchecker natively in Word. Not only is it faster, it also finds more errors.

But my
... See more
1. This sounds like a problem with a specific server (if it only happens with one server but not others) or the network. Have you tried to switch off automatic synchronising?

2. Agree. Annoying. I have mentioned it in a support ticket to MemoQ (the company is no longer called Kilgray). It's enough to move the cursor around in the same segment, though.

4. I always run the spellchecker natively in Word. Not only is it faster, it also finds more errors.

But my impression of the company is that they don't care much about what the translators need, so let's keep dreaming. Fixing bugs doesn't attract as much public attention as writing fancy reports about the future of translation and producing voice recognition functions, which only iPhone users can use, so we keep working in bug-ridden MemoQ software every day.

Example: on 24 December, I reported that Compare versions (v. 8.5 and higher) more or less randomly inserts and deletes spaces in the text and doesn't display them correctly, so when you're done in Compare versions, you need to clean up the entire text for double spaces and words that have been joined. On the same day, they confirmed that they could reproduce the problem. Since then, I have asked twice if they could give priority to solving this bug due to the serious problems it causes in client texts. They just ignore me. They don't give a damn. It's not their work that is destroyed by their bugs.

There is another bug that causes the cursor to disappear after copy and paste (v. 8.x). They have known about it for months, but it hasn't been fixed.

These are just examples. I have a long list of reported bugs in their support system. The reports are just sitting around for months. It's a completely unacceptable way of dealing with bugs, but what can we do? Trados is even worse.
Collapse

Cristina Feletto
Cristina Feletto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Slow and laggy here too Jan 28, 2019

I have been using MemoQ with different servers and the problem is always the same: It is extremely slow and laggy, to the point that I am considering dropping my clients who require this tool. I am using the latest version (8.6.6.) and I have an Internet speed of over 100 Mpbs.

Here are screenshots of some of the annoying messages I receive:

memoq1

memoq2

memoq3

[Edited at 2019-01-28 05:19 GMT]

Olaf Schutze (X)
Olaf Schutze (X)  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to German
+ ...
Internet speed of over 100 Mpbs Feb 20, 2019

Cristina Feletto wrote:

I have been using MemoQ with different servers and the problem is always the same: It is extremely slow and laggy, to the point that I am considering dropping my clients who require this tool. I am using the latest version (8.6.6.) and I have an Internet speed of over 100 Mpbs.

Here are screenshots of some of the annoying messages I receive:

memoq1

memoq2

memoq3

[Edited at 2019-01-28 05:19 GMT]

The connection is not only on your side and the slowest bit (wherever it is) defines the connection speed.
However, assuming, licensing and all is fine, it's looking more like a connection issue on your side ... DNS. Two boxes at the same time. DNS not resolves both servers (not the speed).
You can try to ping some different servers: open a CMD ant type: ping www.google com [enter]
ping the same way some other servers, sites : ping [you translation.server] ....... the project server. You get a reply something like this?
ping www.google.com
PING www.google.com (216.58.200.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from hkg12s11-in-f4.1e100.net (216.58.200.4): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=28.7 ms
64 bytes from hkg12s11-in-f4.1e100.net (216.58.200.4): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=27.3 ms
64 bytes from hkg12s11-in-f4.1e100.net (216.58.200.4): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=27.4 ms
64 bytes from hkg12s11-in-f4.1e100.net (216.58.200.4): icmp_seq=4 ttl=55 time=29.7 ms

I assume, you will get something like this:
ping alpha //alpha, another computer inside my network. This would proof, that the issue is LOCAL
ping: alpha: Name or service not knownAL

Inside and outside you router, all not found, is your local. Your local found, but not outside your router, than it's outside ..., your ISP or even the network with the project server

If you have computer in your network, you also can do aping: ping other.computer. A replay with numbers and times, will show you, where exactly the error is.
No other computer or network printer, then is a bit more difficult. But instinct tells me, it's inside your local network - between your pc and router

In this case, it's your LOCAL onnection, before your router and if this is fine, then it looks like a matter for your ISP

[Edited at 2019-02-20 11:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ issues

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »