Thread poster: Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 16:26
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Aug 27, 2018

Long story short:

I type in (the word month with quotation marks) into MemoQ search and, among others, it returns a segment containing the word "months", even though it should only return the exact match - "month". This is true for any word I choose.

Why is it so?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on the type of search Aug 27, 2018

In the dialog box, you have a little drop-down list which lets you choose "Return any matches" (this is probably what you have now) or "Match whole words only," which is probably what you need. Give it a try!

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
search bars, not windows Aug 27, 2018

Ah, yeah, it's there! But I never really use this search WINDOW, instead I use those "search BARS" on top of the screen that are much more convenient IMHO. When you click on the settings icon it says you need to put a word in quotes in order to search for the exact phrase. In practice, however, doing this has no effect whatsoever.

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So, no idea? Aug 30, 2018

So, no idea?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:26
English to Russian
'month' is Aug 31, 2018

an exact match surrounded by other characters. Either 's' or space or any other character are equal for the filter search. I.e. technically there is no difference between "month " and "months" — both sets of characters comprise the exact match "month" (where one is followed by char 'space' and the other by char 's'). Filtering is not supposed to work as "Whole words only".
Try searching for "month ", "month.", "month,", "month;", etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exact quote in MemoQ not working

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »