Is it possible to do a global replace on locked segments?
Thread poster: Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 10:10
German to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2018

Many of my projects have a large number of XLT segments, often with inconsistent translations.
Is it possible to do a global replace on locked segments without unlocking all segments (because this may have unwanted side effects)? An individual unlock of each segment is tedious.

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
yes, with a little workaround Jun 6, 2018

Make a view of all locked segments
Unlock all of the segments in the view
Make any necessary changes
Lock all segments in the view
Delete the view

Gusztáv Jánvári

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What I do Jun 6, 2018

Yes, I know this situation and have it quite often as a result of pretranslation done by customers with a defective memory. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to do Find/Replace on locked segments. You have to unlock them first.

Now, what I do in these situations is:
1. (If you have more than one file) Create a view with the files (simply gluing them together).
2. Open the file/view in the grid. Use the filter boxes in the grid to filter by the source term/phrase and it
... See more
Yes, I know this situation and have it quite often as a result of pretranslation done by customers with a defective memory. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to do Find/Replace on locked segments. You have to unlock them first.

Now, what I do in these situations is:
1. (If you have more than one file) Create a view with the files (simply gluing them together).
2. Open the file/view in the grid. Use the filter boxes in the grid to filter by the source term/phrase and its corresponding bad target term/phrase (you might want to enclose phrases in quote marks to filter for that exact phrase).
3. Use the funnel filter function to filter by Locked segments.

This yields a list with the offending locked segments; you can then select all, unlock all (Ctrl-Shift-L), do your Find/Replace, which changes the status of the segments to Edited, confirm all, then lock again (Ctrl-Shift-L once more). Now the result should be that all incorrect segments are corrected, and you have not unlocked other segments that should stay unchanged.

I hope this helps a bit!
Collapse

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Global replace Jun 6, 2018

Thanks, I had hoped that there as some "secret" switch that, in effect, temporarily overrid the locking.

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
it wouldn't really be locked would it? Jun 7, 2018

Anthony Rudd wrote:

Thanks, I had hoped that there as some "secret" switch that, in effect, temporarily overrid the locking.

The solutions which Tomas and I suggest are two very similar ways of temporarily unlocking the segments but as in any locked object, you don't want to make it too easy to break in. If you want a one-stop way of doing this over and over again, you could write an Autohotkey script, but I think you'll find either of these methods will take you thirty seconds to implement once you get used to picking memoQ's locks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to do a global replace on locked segments?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »