Isabelle Vulliard
Isabelle Vulliard  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:43
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
May 10, 2018

Hello! I have created a memoQ project with a mqxlz file and 1) I don't get a html overview 2) I have tried to export the file and only the txt version is offered. I have the same problems with rtf file and never with words. Could you tell me why? Did I miss something? How can I export the file in the initial mqxlz file or another "readable" version? Thanks a lot.

gfichter
gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:43
English
+ ...
Workaround May 10, 2018

If you import a memoQ bilingual file for translation, you will probably not get what you want for various reasons. But there is a way to do what I think you want to do. First import the bilingual file into LiveDocs. Then import the original HTML file as a translation document. The bilingual file can be used to pre-translate the HTML. When you are done translating, you will be able to export the HTML.
To understand the problem better, try exporting the finished project as bilingual, with
... See more
If you import a memoQ bilingual file for translation, you will probably not get what you want for various reasons. But there is a way to do what I think you want to do. First import the bilingual file into LiveDocs. Then import the original HTML file as a translation document. The bilingual file can be used to pre-translate the HTML. When you are done translating, you will be able to export the HTML.
To understand the problem better, try exporting the finished project as bilingual, with and without skeleton. It is possible that your original bilingual file is missing the skeleton, but it is also possible that your method would not work either way. MemoQ needs the skeleton to be able to reconstruct the HTML.
I encounter the same problem with InDesign files translated as bilingual RTF files, because RTF files cannot include the skeleton. Using the same RTF file in LiveDocs to re-translate the original InDesign file saves the day in those cases.

-George
Collapse

Isabelle Vulliard
France
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no html overview May 10, 2018

Thank you Georges, your answer is very helpful. I'll try it. Regarding the file export, my PM told me that they have created a view and suppressed the repetitions, that's why I could not export the file.
Another solutions for rtf?

Isabelle Vulliard
France
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rtf files May 10, 2018

Just to precise that when I have rtf files, now I prefer to save them as doc. before working on them. It's quick and efficient.
But MemoQ is supposed to accept rtf files, that's what is bothering me.

gfichter
gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:43
English
+ ...
RTF May 11, 2018

Hi Isabelle,

I can certainly understand why you prefer doc (docx) files. They are much smaller. However, memoQ only recognizes "Table RTF" for bilingual files. The solution is simple: do all your work in doc(x), and then convert to RTF using save as RTF. This assumes you are using Microsoft Word. I don't know if Libre Office or other non-Microsoft programs will let you save as RTF. I tried this in Word, and it worked. You do lose information with bilingual RTF, including the a
... See more
Hi Isabelle,

I can certainly understand why you prefer doc (docx) files. They are much smaller. However, memoQ only recognizes "Table RTF" for bilingual files. The solution is simple: do all your work in doc(x), and then convert to RTF using save as RTF. This assumes you are using Microsoft Word. I don't know if Libre Office or other non-Microsoft programs will let you save as RTF. I tried this in Word, and it worked. You do lose information with bilingual RTF, including the ability to recreate the source document, but you can use the LiveDocs trick to solve that problem.
Collapse

Isabelle Vulliard
France
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
word files May 11, 2018

Yes Georges, I do work with Microsoft Word and I convert final files in rtf to keep in line with the original file of the client. Thank you for all your advice. It's helpful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

mqxlz file: no html overview and file exported only in txt

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »