Francesco Sosto
Francesco Sosto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:50
Member (2012)
German to Italian
+ ...
Sep 7, 2012

Hi! just an information. I would like to try and download the 45-day free trial version of MemoQ, possibly the version 5.0 or 5.0.67. As far as I know, I cannot test Google Translate MT plugin in a memoQ demo version, is it true or false? In case I'm mistaking do you know if it's possible to download a free version of Google Translate MT plugin?

Thanks in advance!

Salve! volevo chiedervi una semplice info. Vorrei provare a scaricare la versione demo di 45 giorni di mem
... See more
Hi! just an information. I would like to try and download the 45-day free trial version of MemoQ, possibly the version 5.0 or 5.0.67. As far as I know, I cannot test Google Translate MT plugin in a memoQ demo version, is it true or false? In case I'm mistaking do you know if it's possible to download a free version of Google Translate MT plugin?

Thanks in advance!

Salve! volevo chiedervi una semplice info. Vorrei provare a scaricare la versione demo di 45 giorni di memoQ, probabilmente la versione 5.0 o 5.0.67. Per quanto ne sappia non si può provare il plugin di Google Translate MT in una versione demo di memoq, è vero o non è vero? Nel caso mi stia sbagliando sapete dirmi dove poter scaricare una versione free del plugin di Google Translate?

Grazie in anticipo!
Collapse

Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Juan Carlos Sánchez López
English to Spanish
+ ...
Worth it Sep 7, 2012

Hi Francesco

I don't know if you can try the plugin, the only thing I can tell you is that it works perfectly well, you get their translation on the right window and then you decide to follow or not, obviously (and happily), it is not perfect.
I think it is a really good tool, even if it's just to get an idea of the meaning of your sentence and then 'develop' it correctly in your language.
Imagine for instance you have to translate a list of countries. It won't be wrong
... See more
Hi Francesco

I don't know if you can try the plugin, the only thing I can tell you is that it works perfectly well, you get their translation on the right window and then you decide to follow or not, obviously (and happily), it is not perfect.
I think it is a really good tool, even if it's just to get an idea of the meaning of your sentence and then 'develop' it correctly in your language.
Imagine for instance you have to translate a list of countries. It won't be wrong at all, and you won't have to type a single one.

If you need any tips or info, don't hesitate to ask

Regards

JC
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Finnish to French
A few facts Sep 9, 2012

Francesco Sosto wrote:
I would like to try and download the 45-day free trial version of MemoQ, possibly the version 5.0 or 5.0.67. As far as I know, I cannot test Google Translate MT plugin in a memoQ demo version, is it true or false? In case I'm mistaking do you know if it's possible to download a free version of Google Translate MT plugin?

Since you are new to memoQ, and unless you have to work in online projects for a client who is using memoQ server 5, I would advise you get started with memoQ 6 (latest build: 6.0.55).

The trial version should be fully functional during the 45-day trial period, and (AFAIK) that applies to MT plugins as well.

There is no need to download a separate plugin (this was only necessary for early 5.x builds): the Google Translate plugin is now included in the standard distribution. You do need to get a valid API key from Google. If you don't have one, see:

http://youtu.be/-KHq094SeWU?hd=1

Please note that you are going to pay for your Google Translate usage even during your 45-day trial period. This is because Google Translate usage is charged by Google, not by Kilgray.

Also note the Microsoft Translator plugin doesn't work in the current build of memoQ (6.0.55), even if you have valid Microsoft Translator credentials.

Marc Cordes
Marc Cordes  Identity Verified
Poland
English to German
+ ...
Important! Sep 9, 2012

Also note that every time you use this plugin you are breaking any NDA you might have signed with your customer. For this reason I usually do not use the plugin itself but rather copy source segments to the external web-based google MT. When I do that I make sure that any references to customer names/product names are replaced by placeholders.

ANYTHING you type in there will be permanently saved somewhere by Google.

Just a reminder for your own sake...
See more
Also note that every time you use this plugin you are breaking any NDA you might have signed with your customer. For this reason I usually do not use the plugin itself but rather copy source segments to the external web-based google MT. When I do that I make sure that any references to customer names/product names are replaced by placeholders.

ANYTHING you type in there will be permanently saved somewhere by Google.

Just a reminder for your own sake

Another note: I just love this CAT and I have tried Trados and Wordfast before and nothing beats the intuitive use of MemoQ. Their support is also top notch!

[Edited at 2012-09-09 10:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-09-09 10:25 GMT]
Collapse

Francesco Sosto
Francesco Sosto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dominique and Marc! Sep 9, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Francesco Sosto wrote:
I would like to try and download the 45-day free trial version of MemoQ, possibly the version 5.0 or 5.0.67. As far as I know, I cannot test Google Translate MT plugin in a memoQ demo version, is it true or false? In case I'm mistaking do you know if it's possible to download a free version of Google Translate MT plugin?

Since you are new to memoQ, and unless you have to work in online projects for a client who is using memoQ server 5, I would advise you get started with memoQ 6 (latest build: 6.0.55).

The trial version should be fully functional during the 45-day trial period, and (AFAIK) that applies to MT plugins as well.

There is no need to download a separate plugin (this was only necessary for early 5.x builds): the Google Translate plugin is now included in the standard distribution. You do need to get a valid API key from Google. If you don't have one, see:

Please note that you are going to pay for your Google Translate usage even during your 45-day trial period. This is because Google Translate usage is charged by Google, not by Kilgray.

Also note the Microsoft Translator plugin doesn't work in the current build of memoQ (6.0.55), even if you have valid Microsoft Translator credentials.

I confirm what you said, Dominique, the day before yesterday. I just downloaded memoQ 6.0 and everything works properly, as well as Google Translate (I also got a valid API key of my own). By the way, are you by chance the well-known CatguruEn on you tube? If it's you, I want you to know I always appreciate and follow your tutorials! everything is explained very precise and professional. @ Mark Cordes: thanks for your precious advice I'll pay attention to what you said!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Finnish to French
CATguruEN Sep 9, 2012

Francesco Sosto wrote:
By the way, are you by chance the well-known CatguruEn on you tube? If it's you, I want you to know I always appreciate and follow your tutorials! everything is explained very precise and professional.

Thanks for the kind words, CATguruEN is indeed my alter ego

YouTube channel -> http://www.youtube.com/user/CATguruEN
Twitter -> https://twitter.com/CATguruEN
Vlog -> http://wordfast.fi/blog/

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
accesing the Google Translate plugin in memoQ Sep 2, 2018

Dominique Pivard wrote:

How I access the Google Translate plugin from inside memoQ 8.4 ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memo Q demo version and google translate MT plugin

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »