How can I separate text and footnotes to translate them separately?
Thread poster: simon tanner
simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:22
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2010

Hi everyone,

I translate a large number of academic papers, which are usually full of footnotes. Some of these footnotes can be fairly long, and are typically split into a number of segments. My problem is that the footnotes are often in the middle of sentences, with the result that when segmented, I am faced with a translation grid something like this (where the / sign shows segment breaks):

"De duabus Animabus /note number 1/ An English translation has recently been
... See more
Hi everyone,

I translate a large number of academic papers, which are usually full of footnotes. Some of these footnotes can be fairly long, and are typically split into a number of segments. My problem is that the footnotes are often in the middle of sentences, with the result that when segmented, I am faced with a translation grid something like this (where the / sign shows segment breaks):

"De duabus Animabus /note number 1/ An English translation has recently been published. Jones, M (trans.), On the Two Souls, Mega Books, London, 2008. / This one of the very few English translations available. / For a review of the available translations in English, see Smith, G. /, op./ cit./ pp/. 55-65 / is one of Augustine's lesser known anti-Manichaean works /note number 2/ for a full list, see York, J./, Augustine and Manichaeism, New York, 1989. /, which has been somewhat neglected by scholars./"

Get the idea? Apart from the annoying segmentation after full-stops in abbreviations (op. cit., for example), it is very difficult to navigate the sentence. The preview pane helps, of course, but with long notes the benefits are limited.

What I'd like to know is if I can filter the view in any way to just see the main text, and then deal with translating the notes separately (rather like the draft view in Word). Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves?

Grateful for any help, and Happy New Year!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-01-02 13:12 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
Same problem in other CAT programs Jan 2, 2010

MemoQ, DVX and WordFast Pro split sentences with footnotes. I like the way Studio handles footnotes.

Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins
Catalan to English
+ ...
Make footnotes into endnotes Jan 2, 2010

It's a while since I've translated footnotes, but I seem to remember that converting footnotes into endnotes enabled postponing translation of notes to the end.

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Import as docx Jan 2, 2010

Hello,

have you tried to import the document as docx. In this case the footnotes don't split the sentences. I think you have to have installed Word 2007 or the compatibility pack (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en)

Regards
... See more
Hello,

have you tried to import the document as docx. In this case the footnotes don't split the sentences. I think you have to have installed Word 2007 or the compatibility pack (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en)

Regards

Noe
Collapse

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
docx/endnotes/Studio Jan 3, 2010

Thanks Selcuk. Must admit, I tend to avoid Trados, even though I have it installed and am fairly proficient. I just prefer MemoQ's stability and interface, but I'll have a look to see if its handling of footnotes is better. How exactly does it differ, by the way?

Bilbo, thanks - yes that occurred to me too, and may be the simplest option - change them intio endnotes and then back into footnotes after final editing.

Interesting, Noe. I have the latest Word, but still oft
... See more
Thanks Selcuk. Must admit, I tend to avoid Trados, even though I have it installed and am fairly proficient. I just prefer MemoQ's stability and interface, but I'll have a look to see if its handling of footnotes is better. How exactly does it differ, by the way?

Bilbo, thanks - yes that occurred to me too, and may be the simplest option - change them intio endnotes and then back into footnotes after final editing.

Interesting, Noe. I have the latest Word, but still often have to deal with Word 2003 files, which many of my customers still use. I'll have a look at this - try converting to docx and then back into doc after final editing to give the customer their favoured format.

Thanks for all your suggestions; I'm sure I can find an acceptable solution now
Collapse

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
endnotes/docx Jan 3, 2010

an update, for anyone who might be interested.

converting footnotes to endnotes doesn't help at all. The fact that the notes appear at the end of the final document does nothing to affect the segmentation. In the MemoQ translation grid the notes still appear mid-sentence, with the same kind of segmentation problems I mentioned first of all.

converting to docx seems to solve the problem, at least partially. It's true that the sentences are now not split up, and the notes
... See more
an update, for anyone who might be interested.

converting footnotes to endnotes doesn't help at all. The fact that the notes appear at the end of the final document does nothing to affect the segmentation. In the MemoQ translation grid the notes still appear mid-sentence, with the same kind of segmentation problems I mentioned first of all.

converting to docx seems to solve the problem, at least partially. It's true that the sentences are now not split up, and the notes appear as inline tags, which are then shown as separate segments after the sentence in which they appear. This means I can see whole sentences, which is my main concern. The only downer is that no preview seems to be available. Does anyone know why?
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
Footnotes in Studio and MemoQ Jan 3, 2010

simon tanner wrote:

Hi Simon,

The following is an example from a word file with 3 footnotes:

This is Footnote[1]. This is another[2] footnote[3].

[1] aaa.
[2] bbb.
[3] ccc.

Studio segments it as follows:

This is Footnote[TAG].
This is another[TAG] footnote[TAG].
aaa.
bbb.
ccc.

And MemoQ segments it as follows:

This is Footnote
aaa.
This is another
bbb.
footnote
ccc.

If MemoQ supports sdlxliff files, you can create a project in Studio and translate it in MemoQ.

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Preview or not preview Jan 3, 2010

Hello,

you don't even have to convert to docx. It's enough to "import as" and then tick "docx" in the import window. The preview works sometimes but not always, don't know if there's a rule to this. When exporting it'll be once again a doc or rtf document.

Regards

Noe

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
studio-memoq/preview Jan 3, 2010

thanks again, Selcuk. Looks like Studio segments similarly to the way MemoQ segments docx (as opposed to doc) files.

thanks for the further info, Noe: that makes life even easier. As for the preview issue, this merits another post, in the hope that we can sort this out too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I separate text and footnotes to translate them separately?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »