Thread poster: Tobias Werner
Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
Local time: 08:16
English to Hungarian
I misundertood your situation then Nov 26, 2009

Hi Tobias,

Is this a tagged file, with those red internal tags? Then the problem could be what Roberto is pointing at.

There are some additional fundamental differences between memoQ and Trados that could be a factor here. If there are several segments where only a number in the segment text differs, Trados only stores one segment, and doesn't specifically store the number with it: it only stores some sort of placeholder, and substitutes the number during translation or
... See more
Hi Tobias,

Is this a tagged file, with those red internal tags? Then the problem could be what Roberto is pointing at.

There are some additional fundamental differences between memoQ and Trados that could be a factor here. If there are several segments where only a number in the segment text differs, Trados only stores one segment, and doesn't specifically store the number with it: it only stores some sort of placeholder, and substitutes the number during translation or pretransaltion. This way, it gives a 100% match to all segments containing the same text and a differrent number.

memoQ stores all these segments one by one, and does not return a 100% match when only the number differs. This could be another cause of the increased wordcounts. But it is very difficult to tell the exact causes and propose a solution without taking a look at the actual material.

Best regards,
Gergely Vandor
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:16
French to Polish
+ ...
Bilingual Trados RTF/DOC workflows Nov 26, 2009

Tobias Werner wrote:

Thanks a lot guys for all your tips and workarounds. Personally for me there is too much workaround and uncertainty if I'll be able to deliver usable files.

Yes, you can
In fact, sometimes these files are better than files proceeded in Trados (e.g. no font corruption).

So for now I won't use MemoQ for this kind of translation work, only for "normal" translations.

Generally, I think the bilingual DOC/RTF workflow may be a pain in the arse if the files are really tricky but it works well in most cases.

I use(d) it heavily for compatibility reasons (mainly in DVX, so I import only fully pretlanslated DOC/RTF files (unlike MQ, DVX is unable to import correctly partially segmented bilingual docs)).
The source text should be very "clean", so, sometimes it's worth to process it using a tool like CodeZapper.

The problems related to the exact/fuzzy matching is general.
AFAIK no tool is able to simulate the matching algorithms of another tool (so why I import only fully pretlanslated files, in some cases, MQ/DVX may fail to find the "best" match).
In this manner, I have always the highest Trados matches as provisional target.

After the translation, I export bilingual files and clean up 'em in Trados, so I have (almost) always Trados TMs and DVX/MQ TMs.
It may be important because DVX/MQ are unable to reflect the sentence joining/splitting in the exported Trados bilingual documents, i.e. the segmentation may be different (it's often the case I realise the formatting is bad somewhere in the middle of the doc).

After some projects like that, it's easy.

I can't imagine how could I revert to Trados bilingual DOC/RTF workflow for large documents
I.e. two, three pages, OK.
More pages, no more...

Cheers
GG

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing pretranslated bilingual RTF files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »