Thread poster: simon tanner
simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:43
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2009

I can't seem to find any way to set fuzzy matches for term bases. Can this not be set?
I am working on a wine translation at the moment, where much of my term base is adjective-based. I would like "succoso", for example, to get a hit also when "succosa", "succose" or "succosi" appears in the source text. Going through my term base and adding variations for hundreds and hundreds of adjectives is just not time/cost-effective.
Failing that, is there no terminology search window that I
... See more
I can't seem to find any way to set fuzzy matches for term bases. Can this not be set?
I am working on a wine translation at the moment, where much of my term base is adjective-based. I would like "succoso", for example, to get a hit also when "succosa", "succose" or "succosi" appears in the source text. Going through my term base and adding variations for hundreds and hundreds of adjectives is just not time/cost-effective.
Failing that, is there no terminology search window that I can get to pop up, like there used to be in SDLX?
I've been trying all the options menus and looked in the guide, but so far no joy.
Any solution would significantly speed up my work and mean I would not risk missing, as I am at the moment, terms which are actually in my term base, but which just don't show up because of a different adjective ending

I'd be very grateful for any help. TIA
Collapse

Albatros
Albatros  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
no fuzzy matching in memoQ term bases, but.. Nov 7, 2009

Hi Simon,

no, there is no fuzzy matching in memoQ's term base feature. The only way around it (and this is actually a feature, rather than a workaround, in my opinion) is to write the singular version of the adjective into the term base by using the "pipe" ( | ) character to represent ending variations. So for instance, adding:
succos|o would catch all variations, plurals and feminine included.

If you have a very large term base without meta-information about each
... See more
Hi Simon,

no, there is no fuzzy matching in memoQ's term base feature. The only way around it (and this is actually a feature, rather than a workaround, in my opinion) is to write the singular version of the adjective into the term base by using the "pipe" ( | ) character to represent ending variations. So for instance, adding:
succos|o would catch all variations, plurals and feminine included.

If you have a very large term base without meta-information about each term (i.e. adjective, noun, etc.) you can perhaps look for a parsing program that would add such information to your terms. You could then filter out all the adjectives and replace the last character by | plus the same character. This should work for Italian.

Re. a search function for terminology in memoQ, I think you are looking for the ctrl-P keyboard combination. Highlight a word in the source text, press ctrl-P and a search window should appear.

I hope this helps,
--
Roberto Savelli
Albatros Soluzioni Linguistiche
Collapse

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 7, 2009

thanks a lot Roberto,

that's very helpful. To be honest, I have never even heard of parsing programs before, but when I have time I'll look into this definitive solution.
For the moment, the CTRL+P feature is good enough, also because it lets you put in parts of words, thus in effect producing fuzzy results. Don't know how I managed to miss that one on the menu!
Thanks again,

Simon

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl + P Nov 7, 2009

I'll post this for anyone who may not have discovered the fact (although I am a relative newcomer to the program, so please excuse what is probably naivety) - if you select just part of the word and press CTRL + P, the term base search will automatically just search for the selection, and not the whole word, meaning you can in effect perform a fuzzy search without having to type anything into the search box.

I keep finding such shortcuts by chance. I often say to myself, "I wonder
... See more
I'll post this for anyone who may not have discovered the fact (although I am a relative newcomer to the program, so please excuse what is probably naivety) - if you select just part of the word and press CTRL + P, the term base search will automatically just search for the selection, and not the whole word, meaning you can in effect perform a fuzzy search without having to type anything into the search box.

I keep finding such shortcuts by chance. I often say to myself, "I wonder what will happen if I try doing this...", and nearly always end up being pleasantly surprised.

So even when it seems incomplete, MemoQ still does its best to make life easy. I find it hard to remain annoyed with such a program for very long!

Having said that, the option of being able to set an automatic fuzzy search for the results window WOULD be nice!

Any comments from Kilgray?
Collapse

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
English to Russian
+ ...
* is also an option Nov 7, 2009

You can also add * instead of word's ending - like "succos*"
The programm will offer you hits from the term base for any word that starts from "succos"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

fuzzy match for term bases

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »