Thread poster: simon tanner
simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:17
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 18, 2009

I use Dragon to speed up my translating, but seem to remember that it was impossible to dictate directly into MemoQ. I say 'was' because I last used a trial version a year ago, and I was wondering if this serious (for me, anyway) limitation has been dealt with.

If it has, it would be a major step forward, putting it way above Trados in my opninion, which just gets fancier and fancier and more and more difficult to use intuitively. But that's another story...

Any info a
... See more
I use Dragon to speed up my translating, but seem to remember that it was impossible to dictate directly into MemoQ. I say 'was' because I last used a trial version a year ago, and I was wondering if this serious (for me, anyway) limitation has been dealt with.

If it has, it would be a major step forward, putting it way above Trados in my opninion, which just gets fancier and fancier and more and more difficult to use intuitively. But that's another story...

Any info appreciated
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Works perfectly!! Oct 18, 2009

I am using MemoQ 3.6 and DNS 10 and it works beautifully!

I have also tried DNS 9 with MemoQ 3.6 and it does not work well, which I think must be a limitation in DNS 9.

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dragon version Oct 18, 2009

Thanks a lot Tomàs,
I think you may well have hit the nail on the head...
It had never actually occurred to me that the problem was Dragon and not MemoQ, perhaps because Dragon always boasts how it works in practically any Windows programme. Since I was using an old version of Dragon at the time (8), this was probably the problem. I have just upgraded to Dragon 10, so hopefully I will no longer have any problems. If I do, I'll post details.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Opening menus is slower with DNS 8.1 running Oct 19, 2009

I use DNS 8.10 with MemoQ 3.5 and there is a noticeable delay when opening menus (3 seconds flat after clicking them before they display, but my machine is a somewhat outdated thing).

Some other people reported such slight inconveniences (delay much shorter than the one I experience) in the MemoQ Yahoo discussion group.

So I learned a lot of shortcuts to avoid displaying menus...

Otherwise, dictating per se is fine in MemoQ.
Regards,
Philippe

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 19, 2009

thanks for the confirmation, Philippe

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
Perfectly compatible Oct 20, 2009

I've been using MemoQ since 2.0 and DNS since v8.0, and all combinations I've tried worked just fine so far (currently using DNS 9.51 and MemoQ 3.6.7).

I guess the issue you encountered must come from some other software in the background or something similar.

[Edited at 2009-10-20 14:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon and MemoQ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »