MemoQ - Formatting tags - Can't you move them at all?
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 15, 2009

I just read that MemoQ does not allow you to see the contents of formatting (internal) tags or to move them at all. How can I know how to work around tags in my translation? They are not part of the document's structure. I don't quite grasp how moving them should cause any problems to MemoQ.

Although I would prefer not to have to do it for obvious reasons, in an emergency I could correct the formatting in the target Office document, but in the case of HTML and XML files (and many ot
... See more
I just read that MemoQ does not allow you to see the contents of formatting (internal) tags or to move them at all. How can I know how to work around tags in my translation? They are not part of the document's structure. I don't quite grasp how moving them should cause any problems to MemoQ.

Although I would prefer not to have to do it for obvious reasons, in an emergency I could correct the formatting in the target Office document, but in the case of HTML and XML files (and many other non-Office formats with plenty of tags, like exports from FrameMaker, InDesign, etc.), it is absolutely critical to be able to move the tags!

Is any of you mostly translating complex XML/HTML and/or tagged exports of DTP applications using MemoQ? How the heck do you manage with MemoQ? You surely can't send a note to your customer asking them to fix things in the target document just because your tool can't cope!

Please don't tell me that MemoQ is just for Office documents!

[Edited at 2009-06-15 12:38 GMT]
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
there are two types of tags... Jun 15, 2009

(edited for small corrections)

One of the two types is inline tags, like the tags you may know from XML and HTML (or many CAT tools for that matter), with the less than and greater than signs around them. (I'm not typing them here, as the forum SW would certainly mess them up. Inline tags are reorderable, and can be left out in many cases, etc.

The other type is the classic numbered MemoQ tags, in the form {1} etc. These are not reorderable, and can not be left out. T
... See more
(edited for small corrections)

One of the two types is inline tags, like the tags you may know from XML and HTML (or many CAT tools for that matter), with the less than and greater than signs around them. (I'm not typing them here, as the forum SW would certainly mess them up. Inline tags are reorderable, and can be left out in many cases, etc.

The other type is the classic numbered MemoQ tags, in the form {1} etc. These are not reorderable, and can not be left out. This is indeed a limitation, but it's a conscious design decision: this helps MemoQ handle Office formats with a minimum number of tags. This can be a good choice for less technical minded translators.

Currently you can translate these formats using inline tags: HTML, XML, InDesign INX, FrameMaker MIF, PowerPoint 2007 PPTX. The forthcoming Word 2007 DOCX and Excel 2007 XLSX filters will also allow you to use inline tags. If you have Office 2007, there is the possbility of processing PPT as PPTX (and, in the future, DOC as DOCX, XLS as XLSX). If you have older versions of Office, the Office Compatibility Pack can help you convert your documents.

These are the formats that you can only translate with MemoQ {1} tags currently: Excel XLS, Word DOC.

Best regards,

Gergely Vandor
Kilgray

[Edited at 2009-06-15 18:38 GMT]
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
...and Star Transit Jun 15, 2009

MemoQ also supports Start Transit packages, with inline tags.

Gergely

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Jun 15, 2009

Gergely, this is extremely useful information. I could not believe tags simply had to stay in the same order!

Matthew Kinnersly
Matthew Kinnersly  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:08
Japanese to English
Fixed in 3.6 Sep 6, 2009

The tagging problem seems to be fixed in 3.6. The tags show up with more detail (adjustable) and you can change the sequence. This was a bit issue for me, so I'm happy to see it fixed.

Matt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ - Formatting tags - Can't you move them at all?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »