Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
Local time: 01:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 21, 2009

I faced with one problem in MemoQ.
When I start to type in every segment, in 50% cases the first letter (capital or small) is missing and I have to type it again. I definitely press the button strong enough, the software just don't want to insert it. And it is not always, sometimes everything is OK. It connected only with Russian language, English is OK.

I found in Internet that somebody had this problem in Microsoft Word, when two programms were installed - PDF Complete or Cl
... See more
I faced with one problem in MemoQ.
When I start to type in every segment, in 50% cases the first letter (capital or small) is missing and I have to type it again. I definitely press the button strong enough, the software just don't want to insert it. And it is not always, sometimes everything is OK. It connected only with Russian language, English is OK.

I found in Internet that somebody had this problem in Microsoft Word, when two programms were installed - PDF Complete or Classic Menu. But Word works perfect, just MemoQ don't want to recognize the first letter sometimes. I deleted all programms, connected with PDF - no changes.
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
you might start typing too soon Apr 21, 2009

My impression is that after confirming the previous segment, you might start typing before the new segment actually becomes active. I might be wrong though.

Are you sure that the segment number is highlighted and the caret is blinking in the segment when you experience this problem?

Regards,
Gergely

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Apr 22, 2009

No, it didn't help. I confirmed one segment, walked around the laptop, then started typing in new segment - same problem. I should type any symbol in new segment after that everything is OK. It could be even space symbol.

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
more information needed Apr 26, 2009

I can't reproduce the problem here so far. Do you use the default keyboard shortcut for confirming (Ctrl+Enter), or have you specified something different?

Do you get this in target segments that were empty before entering them, or were they pretranslated for example?

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Apr 26, 2009

Yes, I assigned another shortcut for confirming - Alt+Down (like in Wordfast)
And you are right - when I changed this shortcut back to Ctrl+Enter - everything became perfect!!! And I have no problem if I just typing in new segment, without confirming previous one.
So the main reason is segment confirming, especially custom shortcut. But how can I keep my custom shortcut and solve my problem?

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
this is a glitch in MemoQ - please try one of the next builds Apr 26, 2009

Thank you, I can confirm this problem when Alt+Down is used as a shortcut for confirming.

I don't think there is a workaround for this currently. I will try to make sure it gets fixed promptly, possibly for the very next build in about a week. (Explanation: In MemoQ version 3.5.15, 3 is the major version number, 5 is the "point version" number, and 15 is the build number. New builds are released very frequently.)

I will report back here when I have new information about
... See more
Thank you, I can confirm this problem when Alt+Down is used as a shortcut for confirming.

I don't think there is a workaround for this currently. I will try to make sure it gets fixed promptly, possibly for the very next build in about a week. (Explanation: In MemoQ version 3.5.15, 3 is the major version number, 5 is the "point version" number, and 15 is the build number. New builds are released very frequently.)

I will report back here when I have new information about this issue. But if you have automatic updates turned on, MemoQ will simply download and install the update containing the fix.

Best regards,
Gergely Vandor
Collapse

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 27, 2009

Thanks a lot, you are really helpfull. I know only one programm with such support, that asks questions and answers them - MemoQ. And one email-provider

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
Not fixable :( Apr 29, 2009

I'm sorry to say that the programmer reported back that he couldn't fix this. He found no explanation for this behaviour, and says he is convinced it is not a problem in our code. Could be some unpredictable behaviour in Windows itself.

I suggest using another keyboard shortcut that does not give you this side effect.

Gergely

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
there is hope with a future version May 21, 2009

We are working on our own segment editor component (the thing you actually enter your segments in) instead of the standard Microsoft editor that is currently shipped with MemoQ. I beleive we'll have much better control with that new editor to avoid problems like this. It's coming later this year.

Gergely

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Missing Russian letter in every segment

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »