How do remote interpreters "sign" as witness when obtaining informed consent for research?
Thread poster: isabelid
isabelid
isabelid
United States
English to Spanish
Oct 14, 2019

After some reading I understand that when working as an interpreter during an informed consent for research, IRB regulations stablish that the interpreter may sign as a witness (an exception to the general rule that indicates that we interpreters don't sign as witnesses).The witness has to be bilingual so it makes sense that if you are involved you will be asked to sign as witness, unless there is a second individual (not related to the research) who is bilingual and present while obtaining cons... See more
After some reading I understand that when working as an interpreter during an informed consent for research, IRB regulations stablish that the interpreter may sign as a witness (an exception to the general rule that indicates that we interpreters don't sign as witnesses).The witness has to be bilingual so it makes sense that if you are involved you will be asked to sign as witness, unless there is a second individual (not related to the research) who is bilingual and present while obtaining consent.
But I was wondering...how would they get the interpreter to sign as a witness if the interpretation was done remotely? by video or phone?
Has anyone seen him/herself on this situation? Thank you in advance for any answers!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 07:40
Romanian to English
+ ...
Very simple Oct 15, 2019

I have done it numerous times.
The officer conducting the search asks you, the OPI interpreter, for your ID number, or name (less) and writes it down. Perfectly legal.

Best,
Lee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do remote interpreters "sign" as witness when obtaining informed consent for research?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »