Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Paid translation for TermWiki: how does it work?
Thread poster: cynthiatesser
cynthiatesser
cynthiatesser  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:39
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 30, 2010

I have been recently contacted by TermWiki for translating terms. I suppose other translators have, too. Translators are required to translate at least 5,000 terms in order to be paid. If they don't get paid, at least they hold the cultural property of the translation on the website and their name is shown in the term page. I have signed in and begun to translate but I don't see a count of the words I have translated so I don't know how many words I have translated so far. Moreover, searching te... See more
I have been recently contacted by TermWiki for translating terms. I suppose other translators have, too. Translators are required to translate at least 5,000 terms in order to be paid. If they don't get paid, at least they hold the cultural property of the translation on the website and their name is shown in the term page. I have signed in and begun to translate but I don't see a count of the words I have translated so I don't know how many words I have translated so far. Moreover, searching terms on TermWiki, I don't find my translations or my name. I have written to the manager of this project and asked him these questions but I have received no reply so I do not know what to do, if to start translating or not.

Anyone else involved in this project who understands how it works exactly? Any advice much appreciated.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Where can I find info? Oct 30, 2010

cynthiatesser wrote:
I have been recently contacted by someone for translating terms. I suppose other translators have, too. Translators are required to translate at least 5,000 terms in order to be paid.

Are you sure you're not blabbing on a confidential client-translator relationship here?

[Edited at 2010-10-30 17:52 GMT]

cynthiatesser
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Info in Proz.com posted jobs Oct 30, 2010

Thank you Samuel. Yes, you're right, there is no mention to the payment on the website but the job was posted on Proz.com (job no.467449) a few days ago. I have received a P.O. with instructions which I have followed but the problem is that I cannot keep track of my translations so maybe there is something I didn't get that's why I am asking if anyone else is involved and knows how it works. Thank you for your interest in my post.

Cristina Fernández
Cristina Fernández  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Cynthia Oct 30, 2010

I was contacted by termwiki, signed up, translated...and, as you say, I can´t find my translations. I´ve just written to the proyect manager.

cynthiatesser
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Cristina Oct 30, 2010

So I'm not the only one, I'm glad to know that it is not that I just don't get it.

What have you decided to do? Are you going to continue to translate or are you going to stop?

I think that many other translators have done what we have done, that is writing to the project manager about this. Let's hope we get a reply soon.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:39
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It's a mess. Dec 10, 2010

Michael

TermWiki Info (X)
TermWiki Info (X)
See own term lists Feb 28, 2011

Hi all,

To see lists of your own terms, as well as the total count, click on your user page, in the top-right hand corner. If you scroll down, all the terms will be listed underneath your details.

Elisa Vannoni (X)
Elisa Vannoni (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
No clear information about payment Aug 25, 2011

I've just signed in Wikiterm, but I'm not sure I will translate for them, because I couldn't find any clear information about payment.

I read some "job offers" in which "professional translators" invite other translators to join this community, in order to contribute to global communication among people, to show our best skills and contribute to the society, and the likes.
BUT it is not clear wether they pay or not. In a post they say that TermWiki Team is offering a payment
... See more
I've just signed in Wikiterm, but I'm not sure I will translate for them, because I couldn't find any clear information about payment.

I read some "job offers" in which "professional translators" invite other translators to join this community, in order to contribute to global communication among people, to show our best skills and contribute to the society, and the likes.
BUT it is not clear wether they pay or not. In a post they say that TermWiki Team is offering a payment for those who translate over than 3000 terms, in another post I read that participants that enter qualified translations for terms at TermWiki are paid, based on the number of terms they translate, a token fee for each term, which is only 1 US cent per term.

In their Terms of Use they do not mention any payment.
I only find this:
"You agree that this license includes the right for CSOFT to make such Materials available to other companies, organizations or individuals for the distribution or publication of such Materials on other media and services with no compensation paid to you with respect to the Materials that you submit, post, transmit or otherwise make available through the Website".

Elisa
Collapse

Asaf Beeri
Asaf Beeri  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:39
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Payment in network visibility rather than money Mar 18, 2013

After setting up an account with TermWiki I received detailed information about payment. You're required to translate 5,000 terms and their definitions, but they pay you only for the term, 0.05$. The payment is done through PayPal.

I've been working on the TermWiki for the past few days. I think the payment involved doesn't really justify treating this project as a source of income, but rather as something that can leverage my network visibility. Question is, can it bring me more pa
... See more
After setting up an account with TermWiki I received detailed information about payment. You're required to translate 5,000 terms and their definitions, but they pay you only for the term, 0.05$. The payment is done through PayPal.

I've been working on the TermWiki for the past few days. I think the payment involved doesn't really justify treating this project as a source of income, but rather as something that can leverage my network visibility. Question is, can it bring me more paying customers?
Collapse

Abid Riaz
Abid Riaz  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Pashto (Pushto) to English
+ ...
Payment on Termwiki Mar 17, 2016

Has anyone actually got paid on Termwiki? I am still confused about the site. While it seems a potential goldmine for unlimited translation, but I find nothing on how translators will be paid.

[Edited at 2016-03-17 07:41 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Crowdsourcing? Mar 17, 2016

OK, it is all nice and good, but is translating 5,000 terms (which should at the very least take you several days of hard work if you do it right) going to bring a pile of work to your door?

I think the website is simply crowdsourcing, and the carrot at the end of the stick to keep you going is potential visibility (and potential payment with unclear conditions, as it seems). Is that an honest business proposal for a professional translator?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is any measure of linguistic quality involved in this linguistic work? Mar 17, 2016

It seems that the translation of the content has been moved to a different platform, and in that platform you see things like "XXXX tiene la red lingüística más grande del mundo abarcado más de 100 idiomas.". If the first words you see in their website for Spanish have this quality, what does it say about the project as a whole?

(Edited to add some more examples.)
- "Si eres un traductor, por favor regístrate como lingüista de XXX ahora."
- "Trabajand
... See more
It seems that the translation of the content has been moved to a different platform, and in that platform you see things like "XXXX tiene la red lingüística más grande del mundo abarcado más de 100 idiomas.". If the first words you see in their website for Spanish have this quality, what does it say about the project as a whole?

- "Trabajando con una de las redes lingüisticas más grandes del mundo, XXX ofrece traducciones humanas y profesional en más de 100 idiomas."
- "Stepes es potenciado por XXXX.com."
- "Sin embargo, estas traducciones no se pueden utilizar para contenidos dirigidos a los cliente."
- "En un mundo en constante proceso de globalización donde la precisión de la traducción es de suma importancia, usar únicamente estas plataformas no sólo hará que ofrecezcas un mal servicio al cliente[missing comma] sino que[missing comma] inevitablemente[missing comma] también te llevará a la pérdida de tu negocio[excessive space] ."

Who the heck are these "human translators" producing such disastrous quality? It is really appalling to see basic typos everywhere. What kind of service are they offering their customers and what damage are the causing to the industry as a whole?

[Edited at 2016-03-17 09:01 GMT]
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Natalia Postrigan
Natalia Postrigan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:39
Member (2016)
English to Russian
+ ...
Stepes = TermWiki = stealing translators' work? Jun 8, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

- "Trabajando con una de las redes lingüisticas más grandes del mundo, XXX ofrece traducciones humanas y profesional en más de 100 idiomas."
- "Stepes es potenciado por XXXX.com."
- "Sin embargo, estas traducciones no se pueden utilizar para contenidos dirigidos a los cliente."
- "En un mundo en constante proceso de globalización donde la precisión de la traducción es de suma importancia, usar únicamente estas plataformas no sólo hará que ofrecezcas un mal servicio al cliente[missing comma] sino que[missing comma] inevitablemente[missing comma] también te llevará a la pérdida de tu negocio[excessive space] ."

Who the heck are these "human translators" producing such disastrous quality? It is really appalling to see basic typos everywhere. What kind of service are they offering their customers and what damage are the causing to the industry as a whole?

[Edited at 2016-03-17 09:01 GMT]

Here's what has been happening. And I am going to report this to the ProZ team because I believe that the involved companies should be banned from the site.

I was contacted by Csoft via ProZ. They said they have a rather urgent project for Google. I passed a translation test, then was told that the project would be conducted via their new tool, the Stepes app.

In the app, I am supposed to receive notifications about paid projects. When these notifications pop up and I instantly click on them (including occasions when I am literally staring at the screen in the app when a notification arrives), I immediately get a message that the job has been taken by another translator. What does it take to program this sequence of notifications while there are no actual jobs? Nothing beyond a few strings of code.

In the meantime, I've been encouraged to do short translations for free. These are terminology translations: a word and its definition. I translated a few. There is no shortage of these free translations coming, but as I said, no paid jobs so far.

I became suspicious enough to search ProZ forums for any mentioning of Csoft and Stepes, and read about TermWiki. Then a new thought occurred to me. I went and searched TermWiki (which I had never used before) for the terms that I translated on Stepes. Lo and behold. My translations are on TermWiki, only the author is listed as a Chinese user who apparently speaks any language you can think of, since he is posting translations in multiple languages. I took screenshots.

So, what do we have here? Is it a project for Google? I doubt so. Are there paid jobs? I doubt so. Are they manipulating people into doing translations for free? Yes. Are they appropriating these translations and posting them on TermWiki under the name of a stranger? Yes.

Anyone else got into this mess?

Leonardo Mesquita

Nina Gribanova
Nina Gribanova
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Stepes = TermWiki = CSOFT swindlers Aug 11, 2016

Abid Riaz wrote:

Has anyone actually got paid on Termwiki?

I have NOT. I invoiced them a couple of times, but they simply ignored my emails and no payment has arrived into my PayPal account so far (the project ended on February 28th, 2015!).

Natalia Postrigan wrote:
Stepes = TermWiki = stealing translators' work?

Anyone else got into this mess?

Several months after that unpaid TermWiki project I received an email stating the following:
"You’re one of TermWiki’s 15 Top Contributors for 2015! Great stuff!
Your dedication to TermWiki has not gone unnoticed, and with the upcoming release of our new translation platform Stepes, we’d love to have you on board as a Stepes Ambassador."

My dedication has not gone unnoticed, but has surely gone unpaid. And I'm surely not going to fall into the same trap again and do any work for free for these CSOFT swindlers. Thank god I was wise enough not to share my own glossaries with them - just reviewed the machine translations of their terms.

Janilson Semedo

Asaf Beeri
Asaf Beeri  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Stepes pays Nov 6, 2018

I got money for the projects on Stepes, payment was received in September 2018 for jobs performed in July and August 2018.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paid translation for TermWiki: how does it work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »