Adding a personal TM to a client-based project
Thread poster: infactglobal
infactglobal
infactglobal
Local time: 23:06
Oct 23, 2017

Hello, A client of ours has "forced" us to work with Across, while we have a HUUUUUUUGE memory for this client on Trados. I have imported into Across the TMX file that I created in Trados, but I was wondering whether my full TM will be sent to my client when I send the documents translated back to them through their server.

Can anyone reassure me that my TM is still protected? I'm ok with sending the client's TM back with the new updated segments, it's just I don't want them to have
... See more
Hello, A client of ours has "forced" us to work with Across, while we have a HUUUUUUUGE memory for this client on Trados. I have imported into Across the TMX file that I created in Trados, but I was wondering whether my full TM will be sent to my client when I send the documents translated back to them through their server.

Can anyone reassure me that my TM is still protected? I'm ok with sending the client's TM back with the new updated segments, it's just I don't want them to have my entire TM to use freely!!!
thanks for your help!
-Cynthia
Collapse

Gerald von Stein-Salisbury
Gerald von Stein-Salisbury
English to German
Using alien TM in Across Projects Oct 27, 2017

Hello,
with respect to the fact that "Huge" Translation Memories never get establishied by accident, they are the result of some kind of translation job you got paid for ... there are "Huge" issues who this TM belongs to. But in case it is a customer specific "Master TM", that is not the pure export of a single project: I believe that this actually is the property of the translator.
That being said: In general the Across settings of your customer will technically allow:
- Imp
... See more
Hello,
with respect to the fact that "Huge" Translation Memories never get establishied by accident, they are the result of some kind of translation job you got paid for ... there are "Huge" issues who this TM belongs to. But in case it is a customer specific "Master TM", that is not the pure export of a single project: I believe that this actually is the property of the translator.
That being said: In general the Across settings of your customer will technically allow:
- Import of Alien TMX
- Usage of this Alien TM in the project
- Subsequent deleting of the imported TM
The customer would then only receive the TM you made for the individual segments of that specific project.
If those extra steps make sense or not is a different question. But: A sophisticated Across project Manager could alter the rights within the process chain which could prevent stunts like that (if he wants). But I believe the default settings of Across allow moves like that.
So try it out.
Gerald
Collapse

infactglobal
infactglobal
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 27, 2017

To answer your comment, yes, my Master TM is client-specific and built after 15 years of translating for this client using Trados. The TM is my property. My client has created a TM to work with their Across server, which is much smaller than mine, of course. I just want the client to give me the rights to add my TM to each of their projects, just to guarantee homogeneity and quality, but I don't want to relinquish the entire TM. Of course, from now on, all the segments I translate for them "belo... See more
To answer your comment, yes, my Master TM is client-specific and built after 15 years of translating for this client using Trados. The TM is my property. My client has created a TM to work with their Across server, which is much smaller than mine, of course. I just want the client to give me the rights to add my TM to each of their projects, just to guarantee homogeneity and quality, but I don't want to relinquish the entire TM. Of course, from now on, all the segments I translate for them "belong" to their TM, that I understand.

I am using however, the basic (free) version of Across. We read somewhere that this version doesn't support alien tms in server projects. Is that true?

I have also raised the issue with my client, who is looking into how to let me integrate my TM (they are motivated as of course, the cost will then be adapted...)

Anyway, thank you so much!
Collapse

AAV
AAV
Local time: 05:06
You need premium ATE to use your own TM with server task Oct 30, 2017

There are basically two possibilities to integrate TM from TMX into translation environment when you work on server task:
1) Import TMX while task is open. This will associate all imported TM with the Server you are currently working with.
This requires that on server side project manager has assigned you special rights to perform import.
BUT: this will send ALL this TM to the server, since it will be considered by Across as "TM added while working on server task".

... See more
There are basically two possibilities to integrate TM from TMX into translation environment when you work on server task:
1) Import TMX while task is open. This will associate all imported TM with the Server you are currently working with.
This requires that on server side project manager has assigned you special rights to perform import.
BUT: this will send ALL this TM to the server, since it will be considered by Across as "TM added while working on server task".

2) Import TMX in "Work on my own projects" mode. This will associate imported TM with your own installation.
To be able to use it while working on server task,
2a.) On server side such usage should be allowed (as Gerald mentioned before, it is allowed by default).
2b.) Premium edition is required.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding a personal TM to a client-based project

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »