Thread poster: Hardy Moreno
Hardy Moreno
Hardy Moreno  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 7, 2011

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any English-to-Spanish translators out there who dictate with DNS Premium into Wordfast Professional (Not Wordfast Classic)?

Specifically, the problem I'm having is that when I dictate in Spanish into the target language area of Wordfast Professional, almost everything is spelled correctly with the exception of the accent marks, tildes, etc.

Has anyone run across this and have they overcome it some how?

I c
... See more
Hello,

I was wondering if there are any English-to-Spanish translators out there who dictate with DNS Premium into Wordfast Professional (Not Wordfast Classic)?

Specifically, the problem I'm having is that when I dictate in Spanish into the target language area of Wordfast Professional, almost everything is spelled correctly with the exception of the accent marks, tildes, etc.

Has anyone run across this and have they overcome it some how?

I contacted Nuance for DNS who referred me to the people at Wordfast. The people at Wordfast told me that they were sorry and that I should contact a Wordfast forum for help.

Thanks,

Hardy
Collapse

Fernando Larrazabal
Fernando Larrazabal
Japan
Local time: 02:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
No problems Sep 7, 2011

I use DNS Premium 11 and WF Pro and do not have any problems with the diacritic marks in Spanish.

I also didn´t have them with DNS 9.

Hardy Moreno
Hardy Moreno  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What operating system are you using? Sep 8, 2011

Really?!?

What operating system are you using. Are you on a PC or Mac?

Fernando Larrazabal
Fernando Larrazabal
Japan
Local time: 02:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
OS Sep 8, 2011

On a PC.

DNS 9 on Vista and DNS 11 on Windows 7.

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:56
English to French
using DNS 11.0 home in French with no accent problems Oct 13, 2011

I've been using the home version for French and don't have any accent problem. I have plenty of homophony problems ('ez', 'er' and 'é' verb terminations used at random), and the uppercase/lovercase handling is horrendous. As my math teacher used to say, when you have a 50/50 chance you WILL get it wrong. So does Dragon with case handling! Also, DNS apparently makes no difference between the é and è sounds which are clearly different phonemes in normal/educated French. And often it will d... See more
I've been using the home version for French and don't have any accent problem. I have plenty of homophony problems ('ez', 'er' and 'é' verb terminations used at random), and the uppercase/lovercase handling is horrendous. As my math teacher used to say, when you have a 50/50 chance you WILL get it wrong. So does Dragon with case handling! Also, DNS apparently makes no difference between the é and è sounds which are clearly different phonemes in normal/educated French. And often it will double the first letter of an inserted word/phrase, and, also often, insert double spaces when i make a pause. So there's plenty of issues in the French DNS, but accents are fine...Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 19:56
English to Arabic
Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking (DNS) in Wordfast Pro Oct 23, 2014

Dear Colleagues,

With the latest DNS and the latest Wordfast Pro (3.4.1), do you have any issues using DNS?

Any issues for specific languages such as Hungarian, French, or Spanish?

Any issues for specific OS, Windows or Mac?

If you use your DNS perfectly with Wordfast Pro, could you please share your version number and special settings that matter.

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Eliezer Birnbaum
Eliezer Birnbaum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:56
Dutch to English
Compatibility between Wordfast Pro 4 and Dragon NaturallySpeaking professional version 14.0 Jun 13, 2016

Am considering buying Wordfast Pro 4 but have been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking to speed up my translations and avoid RSI issues for about 10 years now, and I noticed when trying out the free trial version of Wordfast Pro 4 together with my DNS (Professional version 14.0) that some of the most useful commands are not available, for example the select/correct command, the select and cap or all caps command. Does anyone know of any workarounds or tweaks that would make both software tools more c... See more
Am considering buying Wordfast Pro 4 but have been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking to speed up my translations and avoid RSI issues for about 10 years now, and I noticed when trying out the free trial version of Wordfast Pro 4 together with my DNS (Professional version 14.0) that some of the most useful commands are not available, for example the select/correct command, the select and cap or all caps command. Does anyone know of any workarounds or tweaks that would make both software tools more compatible with each other? Using the dictation box in Dragon instead of working directly in the target field slows me down and I don't really like being slowed down.

Eli Birnbaum
professional translator Dutch to English
Collapse

Karel Theys
Karel Theys
German to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast Pro+DNS Apr 16, 2017

elibirnbaum wrote:

Am considering buying Wordfast Pro 4 but have been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking to speed up my translations and avoid RSI issues for about 10 years now, and I noticed when trying out the free trial version of Wordfast Pro 4 together with my DNS (Professional version 14.0) that some of the most useful commands are not available, for example the select/correct command, the select and cap or all caps command. Does anyone know of any workarounds or tweaks that would make both software tools more compatible with each other? Using the dictation box in Dragon instead of working directly in the target field slows me down and I don't really like being slowed down.

Eli Birnbaum
professional translator Dutch to English

Hello Eli,

I have the same problem. Have you found a solution yet?
Thank you very much

Karel Theys

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
To Eli and Karel Apr 16, 2017

The full range ot text editing commands is only available in specifically supported applications such as Word. Dragon interacts with them on a more sophisticated level than just speech to text conversion. On the other hand, unsupported applications such as Wordfast can only benefit from direct text entry, with only a handful of editing commands available such as "Undo" or "Select last word". However, if you want to change capitalisation, you can do so WHILE dictating rather than AFTER that:
... See more
The full range ot text editing commands is only available in specifically supported applications such as Word. Dragon interacts with them on a more sophisticated level than just speech to text conversion. On the other hand, unsupported applications such as Wordfast can only benefit from direct text entry, with only a handful of editing commands available such as "Undo" or "Select last word". However, if you want to change capitalisation, you can do so WHILE dictating rather than AFTER that:
You dictate: department of useless little things
You get: Department of useless little things
You dictate: department of cap useless cap little cap things
You get: Department of Useless Little Things
You dictate: department of caps on useless little things caps off
You dictate: all caps on department of useless little things all caps off
You get: DEPARTMENT OF USELESS LITTLE THINGS
Collapse

Karel Theys
Karel Theys
German to Dutch
+ ...
DNS + correction Apr 19, 2017

Anton Konashenok wrote:DNS

You dictate: department of useless little things
You get: Department of useless little things
You dictate: department of cap useless cap little cap things
You dictate: department of caps on useless little things caps off
You dictate: all caps on department of useless little things all caps off
You get: DEPARTMENT OF USELESS LITTLE THINGS

Thank you Anton,

My main problem is how to correct misinterpretations by DNS (which in applications such as Word, you normally do with the {-}-key as standard).

Thanks,
Karel

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Misinterpretations Apr 27, 2017

For misinterpretations, "Undo" works everywhere. Of course, you need to watch the text as it appears.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium and Wordfast Professional

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »