David Balayla  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:50
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 7 may work on Word 2007 (but on Windows 7) Apr 21, 2017

[quote]Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I wanted to answer your question, but Walter beat me to it. I totally agree with him on this subject.

By the way, Trados 7 only works till Word (Microsoft) 2003, after that (higher version), it won't clean, that is to say, only with a special Macro, and only for Workbench. TagEditor, well...... good luck!

[Edited at 2015-11-11 22:57 GMT]

I have Trados 7 working within Word 2007. The clean feature doesn't work but you can use Word itself to get rid of the original text by deleting all hidden text. This can be done by 'Inspecting Document' and then click 'Delete' to get rid of the hidden text in the file. You'll have it all in your TM because you've been accepting and adding the translations as you translate within Word.

Then ... I inevitably went on to Windows 10 with my new laptop. This in turn inevitably leads to upgrading SDL stuff. I don't think patience, as suggested by Robert is going to work with this company. Helping users in this way would work against their commercial interests. You would have to look for another type of company for that in my opinion.

God forbid me from attempting to be more catholic than the Pope on this matter!

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Times are a changing Apr 21, 2017

[quote]David Balayla wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I wanted to answer your question, but Walter beat me to it. I totally agree with him on this subject.

By the way, Trados 7 only works till Word (Microsoft) 2003, after that (higher version), it won't clean, that is to say, only with a special Macro, and only for Workbench. TagEditor, well...... good luck!

[Edited at 2015-11-11 22:57 GMT]

I have Trados 7 working within Word 2007. The clean feature doesn't work but you can use Word itself to get rid of the original text by deleting all hidden text. This can be done by 'Inspecting Document' and then click 'Delete' to get rid of the hidden text in the file. You'll have it all in your TM because you've been accepting and adding the translations as you translate within Word.

Then ... I inevitably went on to Windows 10 with my new laptop. This in turn inevitably leads to upgrading SDL stuff. I don't think patience, as suggested by Robert is going to work with this company. Helping users in this way would work against their commercial interests. You would have to look for another type of company for that in my opinion.

God forbid me from attempting to be more catholic than the Pope on this matter!

Dear David,

This thread is from 2015, its 2017 now. Technology is developing fast, and if you want to keep track, go with the flow.

I don't mean, buy all new releases, but old programs are getting obsolete, and if you don't go with your time, you run the risk of getting obsolete too.

Yes, it is frustrating that 'big companies' are deciding which software we have to use, but tell me, when was the last time you saw a horse cart travelling on the highway?

All I want to say, if you want to keep up, you have to pay the price (although there is for sure somebody from the British capital who will disagree with me).

[Edited at 2017-04-21 21:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-21 21:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-21 21:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-21 21:57 GMT]

David Balayla
David Balayla  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good old things are still good things Apr 23, 2017

I was thinking about 'upgrading'-whatever-that-means to Trados 2017 the other day and today I'm still inclined not to. I had to do a job for a client through one of their machines on vpn using SDL Trados 2015 and I was surprised to see how similar this version was to Trados 2009. I went through the whole project and still thought the program was essentially unchanged, perhaps more polished in some ways and I am sure faster and more efficient, but basically the same thing. It makes me think 2017 ... See more
I was thinking about 'upgrading'-whatever-that-means to Trados 2017 the other day and today I'm still inclined not to. I had to do a job for a client through one of their machines on vpn using SDL Trados 2015 and I was surprised to see how similar this version was to Trados 2009. I went through the whole project and still thought the program was essentially unchanged, perhaps more polished in some ways and I am sure faster and more efficient, but basically the same thing. It makes me think 2017 will not be much different.

Is this progress?. I'll take the leap from 2009 to SDL Trados 2018 or 2019 when they come out, so I can get my full money's worth.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 does not work with Word 2016

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »